• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Starlight drivein screen demo

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
They never do... space is money ;)

Here are some sat pics of a couple places we fix up north, these buildings have 53 foot trailers and full sleeper tractors trying to get into both sides of the warehouses... at the same time:eek: sometimes it's just painful to watch them jockeying a rig for half an hour :(
unitedwhse-120feetspacing.jpg
Here is another one where the space drops to 75 feet... this one has killed many a diesel oil pan ;) there is a sort of shallow drainage swale that runs along the trees in the bottom of the pic... and at least a couple trucks a day drive into it... and probably 2-3 a month rip their pans open in it:eek:

unitedwhse-75feetspacing.jpg

Last edited:

Ronsii

Occupation
Now, if you blokes used cabovers, manoeuvring in these tight spots wouldn’t be such a drama.:D
Ain't that the truth :) Most of the trucks here are second(or first) houses to their drivers.... There are two types of drivers: Long haul... that need a big truck as they are on the road for 3-10 days at a time. and then the newer, cheaper, imported driver that lives in their truck so they can work cheaper than the regular guy... and their truck is usually beat to a chit inside and out :eek:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
We have a Home Depot DC here that we rip-rapped around 1500 LF of ditch around the parking lot. The parking lot can hold 1,000 53' van trailers. The place is huge with plenty of space.

The ditch runs along the north west corner of the parking lot.Image 4-19-20 at 11.47 AM.jpeg

Ronsii

Occupation
We have a Home Depot DC here that we rip-rapped around 1500 LF of ditch around the parking lot. The parking lot can hold 1,000 53' van trailers. The place is huge with plenty of space.

The ditch runs along the north west corner of the parking lot.View attachment 215525

I see they do give the truckers a little more room to work with in AL.
hd-dist-cm1996-satview.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
There is plenty of room for the trucks to move around and the Snider drivers need all the room they can get...:D:rolleyes:

The jockey drivers were awesome to work with. When we started the rip-rap project the upper management set a protocol up where we had to make a request to move trailers backed up to the ditch 24 hours in advance. I had 2 end dumps hauling around 8 loads of rip-rap a day so we had to do 2-3 trailer moves a day in order to not handle the rip-rap more than necessary.

I made friends with the jockey drivers and they told me to put a cone in front of the trailers that I needed to move for the day and they took care of it. After that I never went back to the dispatch office. They just took care of it.

Ronsii

Occupation
There is plenty of room for the trucks to move around and the Snider drivers need all the room they can get...:D:rolleyes:

The jockey drivers were awesome to work with. When we started the rip-rap project the upper management set a protocol up where we had to make a request to move trailers backed up to the ditch 24 hours in advance. I had 2 end dumps hauling around 8 loads of rip-rap a day so we had to do 2-3 trailer moves a day in order to not handle the rip-rap more than necessary.

I made friends with the jockey drivers and they told me to put a cone in front of the trailers that I needed to move for the day and they took care of it. After that I never went back to the dispatch office. They just took care of it.
Yeah, it's nice when they'll work with you on simple stuff like moving trailers :) most of the places we work at know us and usually it don't hardly take one request to any driver we see and they'll move stuff as soon as they get a chance... there have been a few times though when the corporate rules get in the way :( and then the first and second request gets lost somewhere....