• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stand on mini track loader questions

zubiedoo

I’m looking to buy a mini stand-on track loader for my acreage. I am frequently needing to move round bales and scrape horse lots. The round bales typically are 1100 pounds but I’ve had a few as much is 1700 pounds. I’m still trying to understand the difference between the operating capacity and the tipping weight and it sounds like people frequently use these machines somewhere between those two numbers. I’m curious if anyone has heard of Diggit brand. those are running around $9000 new. pretty sure Bobcat and Kubota are out of my financial reach. any insight to the various models would be helpful!

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Mini skidsteers, especially those that have a width under four feet, won't pick up more than several hundred pounds. The main brands are Toro Dingo, Bobcat, and Ditch Wich. Now a days you can get a bigger stand behind mini skidsteer machine that are almost as big as a sit in track loader. Prices for used to new can be $12,000-40,000. To lift a ton, you need a full size small compact track loader or the biggest mini skidsteer. A used track loader will be in the $18,000 to $30,000 range. That's for a 4-5 ton machine. Every time the big machines turn, they make a mess sliding the tracks to the side. If you're looking to not spend more than 10K, I think you need to look for a real old backhoe or large farm tractor. Never heard of Diggit brand. I would stick with major name brands so you can get parts and accessories. I have a Toro Dingo TX425 mini skidsteer, a Takeuchi TL130 compact track loader, and a Hitachi LX20 wheel loader. Sorry, don't know much about farm tractors and backhoes and farming.

Attachments

• Small Track Loader.jpg
    Small Track Loader.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Can lift 3000lbs.jpg
    Can lift 3000lbs.jpg
    523 KB · Views: 7

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums ZBD! Glad to have you.

I don't have much experience with the mini loaders but I'm with PG, 1700 lbs is a lot to try and lift with one.

MG84

You are way out of the realm of mini skid steers with handling round bales. If you’re budget is around $10k I’d look for an older large frame wheel skid steer. An 1845c Case, 853/863 Bobcat, something around that size. They will have an operating capacity of 1700-1800lbs and tiping capacity is usually double that on a wheeled machine.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Actually they make versions of these mini skid steers that would lift that. Vermeer makes one with an operating capacity of 1600 pounds. I have seen ads for some that will lift 2K. Most of the popular models have an operating capacity of 1000 pounds. These things are more expensive than one might think. Digga is a Chinese brand I believe. I have rented these fairly often for spreading rock in the bottom of basements. The Wacker brand is my personal favorite, but you wont likely find a used one in 10K range. Most that I have rented appear to me that they don't tolerate a lot abuse. I agree you would be better off with an older skid steer for your 10K.

Welder Dave

The issue with round bales is they stick out a lot more than your typical load. Most weight ratings for forks are at 24". A round bale is 5 or 6 feet in diameter. You'd want at least a 1700lb. rated lift capacity skid steer. A little bump or slightly downhill and you'll tip forward with a smaller machine.