• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stainless bolts. Was that a mistake?

emmett518

When I took possession of my 6 year old Deere 310L, a lot of the bolts holding cosmetic items onto the hoe were rusted to hell. So, I removed them, and replaced them with stainless. I coated the threads with heavy silicone grease before putting them in. The bolts that hold the floor boards, the battery box cover, the plastic trim around the steps.

I knew galvanic corrosion was an issue with boats in a salt water environment, but didn't know that stainless in normal steel was a problem.

Should I pull the stainless, and replace with normal steel? Or pull them every year to examine for corrosion and replace the never seize? Or am I OK with the silicone grease?

hosspuller

I've had SS fitting seize together when fitted by hand. Since your application is cosmetic and you used grease on the threads, I would leave it. And enjoy the rust free appearance. :)

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Stainless has a tendency to gall when put with other stainless. And totally seize together. But I do not have enough info to know if they seize into regular steel. Still I would not do it. I have had so much misery removing stainless fasteners. Hot dip galvanized are what I use for weather exposed bolts and nuts. Very heavy coating but not shiny.

59 North

If I recall correctly, there used to be a never-seize type compound for stainless, when assembling.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
I have just pulled down a marine propulsion water jet unit at hasn't been apart is 25 years that I have owned it. All nuts and bolts are stainless going through Ali, mild steel and fibreglass and never had any problem undoing them. Even the stainless nut on the stainless impeller shaft was easy and no antiseize compounds had been used.
Don't get too hung up about SS.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
In my experience stainless hardware is great the first time you install it. If you’ve got to remove it you might as well throw it away and put new in because the second time you’ll pay for it.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Maybe there is a different grade of stainless for marine stuff. The stuff I use in open air, mostly u-bolt clamps and the like to prevent from being rusted by the rain, you can almost count on it to sieze and break and the nut come off with the stud still in it.

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
SS and salt water - great combination :eek:. We had two different sailboats in salt water for over 10 years, the major issue was dissimilar metal corrosion. Specifically aluminum with SS fasteners, even with anti-seize the fasteners would still get frozen but heat always worked to break them loose. As a landlubber my preference is always using SS fasteners for non critical applications.

JD955SC

Waste of money for one.

just use a good dab of anti seize on bolts when assembling. When I put undercarriage, belly pan, or any other suspect bolts in I give them the good old copper antisieze coating. It’s cheap and effective although messy. Also any pins I put in i coat the outer bores that don’t have grease fittings with antisieze because when you have a siezed pin that’s normally where they rust and stick vs the greased portion.

And when you do go take rusty crap apart if any bolt gives you the impression it’s not going to come out without a fight torch till glowing yellow and spray it down with penetrating oil then she will usually come out with a lot less argument. I’ve had to use entire tank sets on taking apart decades old rusty undercarriage

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
We use a ton of stainless in the water stuff we do, we never have problems, we do use anti seize and we do isolate for steel and hot dip in moist/immersion and any chemical environment as best practice.

One of the biggest issues I see people have with SS hardware, especially using nylocs is running nuts with impacts, that's a great way to gall the f**k out of the threads like you welded it.

Last edited:

Tyler d4c

Around here everything has stainless bolts well and exhaust pipes and lots of other stuff. We like bling. Put neversezz on it it will be just fine.

Old Doug

I have maybe 200# of stainless bolts i would like to sell i will never use them.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Once I was working on a radio site and some shiny metal caught my eye. Looking closely there were stainless bolts, nuts, flat and lock washers all over the ground looks like someone threw down from 100' high. Half buried by years and weather. I dug around and collected most. Hundreds of them in a box, like Doug I use maybe 10 a year and the rest just sit there.

Old Doug

What sizes
Its been raining i hope to look today i walked back to were the bolts are in a car trunk one i had the key but couldnt get it turned the other i couldnt find a key . I need to oil one and drill the other.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
There was a coal wash plant at one place where I worked. Stainless bolts look good in deck plates and sheet metal. I haven't bought any in years but, when I did they were so much more expensive than alloy Grade 5 and 8. Now days, they would have to be free before I would use them.