• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

stacking bin blocks

Drsmall

I have a job coming up stacking bin blocks (waste concrete blocks 2x2x6) to retain a bank. I usually lean them back some but always wonder if I'm leaning them too much or not enough. I was wondering what you guys think? I was sort of thinking 2" per block

Canadian_digger

I’m not sure. But I’m thinking it may also depend how high you will be stacking them and will the wall be straight?

JPV

I think 2" is to much, I was told by an engineer 1/4 to 1/2 inch per foot is about right and that has worked good. This was a wet spot that kept sliding so we put drains under it and put a layer of road cloth between each course so everything is tied back under the road. It has held up for about 4 years of log hauling so far. We put a little curve in it also.

Attachments

• 20140911_075504.jpg
    20140911_075504.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:

JPV

Ultra blocks are the way to go if you have them, ours are usually from the local concrete plant and are pretty random shape and size! When we do get to use ultra blocks it feel like they set themselves.

Crummy

I hear you @JPV the plant blocks can be a little wobbly I did more of those than the ex-pen-sive wall blocks like Ultra. The big wall we did I hauled almost 1000 Redi-Rock units to the site. Put a few dollars in the bank on that job:)
Redi-Rock Haul Oct 2013 001.jpg

Drsmall

We’re using ready mix blocks. It’s for a dairy farm so cost is a determining factor. I was trying to talk them into precast T or L walls but the cost was too much compared to the bin blocks. The wall will be around 140’ long and 12’ high then stepped down every 36’

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
We see a lot of galvanized caged riprap along creek banks here, back stack them then back fill with local soil and seem to set reasonably well. Biggest concern is moving water, scour gets along an edge and can dump the most serious of erosion controls, need to make certain are on a decent base for set.