• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

SSL trencher attachment vs ditch witch trencher

davejo

What is living with a SSL trencher attachment like compared to an actual ride on ditch witch trencher. I'm beginning to dislike SSL attachments in general due to the hassles of exiting the machine as I work projects solo.

Seems like used examples of both can be had for 2500-3000 bucks. Rentals of both are available, too. I work whenever I get a chance but not on a set schedule and we're talking 1800 feet of waterline buried 30 inches

Tags

I would think a dedicated trencher will always work better than an attachment, but I think with a trencher, production really depends upon your soil conditions. I've never used a trencher attachment on a skid steer, looks like a great idea, but with the amount of rock and hard pan in my area I imagine it's just going to self destruct....

davejo

I guess I should have stated that I'm also under the assumption that a trencher would be less destructive to the pasture than my backhoe. I have very limited backhoe experience so far and I want to avoid future depression where the trench is backfilled. We do have some big rocks lurking below...

Jonas302

Lots of variables I've used both and they pull a real nice trench in the right conditions 1800 feet is a long ways to back a skidsteer in a strait line At home with clay, hardpan and some rocks worked great 20 miles away in sand cant keep the trench open