• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Spray on rubber coatings

Coondog

Gentlemen and women, I am wondering if anybody here has any experience with spray on rubber products. I own and operate a rock quarry with a very abrasive material. You can imagine chutes and transfer points wear out fast. So far my answer has been to bolt on used conveyor belting. Rubber lined chutes last much longer. I feel I could save a lot of time by using a rubber spraying technique to line all of my chutes and cut the time because of no measuring and cutting conveyor belt then recutting it over and over again. Pick a day, hook up my rubber spraying trailer to my service truck and go hit all the chutes. I'm thinking industrial size, 55 gal. Drums of product and industrial sprayer with a lot of hose to reach this hard spots. Let me know what you think guys. Thanks

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
I'm not sure that I would want to apply the coating myself. Around these parts they use the stuff for everything nowadays but it's always applied by LineX or Rhino and they do have mobile units. Not that I think you wouldn't be able to accomplish the task but if you want the end result guaranteed or warrantied it's best to let the pros do it. :my2c

Coondog

Thanks seamac, but here's the deal. I am located in a very desolate area. I own and operate several large pieces of equipment. Since it cost me about 1000 clamshells just for the trip for caterpillar to send a tech I own cat SIS and e t and employ to full-time mechanics with years of experience. I am too far to have a mobile unit come out to my sight. I can't even get a windshield repair company to service my area. But that's another story.

The other half of this problem I have is this, I would venture to guess I have approx.35 of these wearing transfer points and chutes. I suspect that if I was to spray on a two inch thick rubber pad on all 35 of them I would have to do at least half of them again on the same day the next week and surely all of them again the next week. I bet I don't have 2 weeks per spray worth of life. So I bet that sends warranty and garuantee out the window right off. And applying it myself or by one of my own will insure it is done like we want it and put in the correct areas and then I don't have to deal with contractors and the whole MSHA no fault liability ******** that goes on all the time. Anybody else here have to deal with MSHA? If so how many of you actually like them?

TEC

Try Vortex spray liner, I think the whole set up use to be about $14000 and it does come out of 55 gal drum.

Tom

Randy88

I've used the stuff a few times can't say I was impressed much, I couldn't imagine wanting to use it for your purpose, I'd opt for some AR plating instead and have that welded on and do it every few months or years over the spray magic in a can. What we were using it for, the rust bubbled it up and it came loose anyhow, any wear and it was gone almost instantly I thought. I'd try either ar plate or hard surfacing on it long before any type of spray on anything. We used it for wear spots on auger boots and a few places like that a few times, didn't last long enough to warrant the time spent to put it on and thats not near as abusive an application as anything in a rock related industry. Also we found the hotter the application the shorter it lasted, anywhere it got hot from friction or another heat source it kinda disappeared faster, almost like melted off.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
We used to make plates from AR, cut to size that covers the wear points and above and below them. Then on those plates weld on 2 or 3 inch wide plates crossways on the plates and angled up. Put them about 4 or 5 inches apart all the way up the plate. This way when the material comes off of the conveyors it will fill up the slots and give you material on material instead of material on metal wear(just like wear plates on buckets). You can prefab these plates and we just bolted them into place and then it takes no time to swap them out when they finally do wear through.

Coondog

Hey guys thanks for the replies. TEC, I spoke with the gm at vortex and he believes his product will work but won't really just sell me the machine until he sees if it will work in itself. He wants me to ship him a chute and then he can spray it and send it back. Seems like a hassle. But I suppose he is just wanting to make sure I don't waste my money.

Randy88, this is exactly why I asked what I asked. You have personal experience with it and it did not go well, this is exactly and answer I am looking for when asking.

To Randy and 95, I have been using ar 400 and 500 for about five years now, in my application I just kind of believe I am a little screwed. An Idea of how abrasive this is, a set of pads on my cat d10 lasts only about 500 hours. I got 650 one time but that was still short lived. I have had metallurgists up the wing Wang(all my crusher liner suppliers have some special dude), and all the smarties have all come to the same conclusion. Evidently the metal is wearing out befor it has time to wear harden. If you have no experience with these machines this won't make a lot of sense but I burn up jaw liners in less than 400 hours and cone liners have a max of 320 and all the rest were more near 250 hours. Making myself some compound pots as suggested by 95 have helped in some areas, but those wear out even faster than just regular used cut conveyor belting. Rubber just seems to be the ticket. My concern is a faster method of application with less time cutting and bolting. But I am reserved about the idea bc it cost so much to start up. After speaking with vortex today I would have to use approx 20 gallons per transfer point and that will cost about 300 inaterials alone. So it is not looking so bright anymore.

D10 track pads last another 650 hours when simply bolted on. I have a couple of them that are used I guess. Maybe I can just stick with them. Rock and rock is always best, but it still don't seem to be the easiest course of action. All good ideas though guys, I know because they have been Implemented already. Anymore suggestions or comments are welcomed. Thank you.

Colen

Gentlemen and women, I am wondering if anybody here has any experience with spray on rubber products. I own and operate a rock quarry with a very abrasive material. You can imagine chutes and transfer points wear out fast. So far my answer has been to bolt on used conveyor belting. Rubber lined chutes last much longer. I feel I could save a lot of time by using a rubber spraying technique to line all of my chutes and cut the time because of no measuring and cutting conveyor belt then recutting it over and over again. Pick a day, hook up my rubber spraying trailer to my service truck and go hit all the chutes. I'm thinking industrial size, 55 gal. Drums of product and industrial sprayer with a lot of hose to reach this hard spots. Let me know what you think guys. Thanks

Check out www.cantechcanada.com they have a spray on coating that exceeds Linex epoxy applied liners and just needs to be recoated as it weras out.

broken wire

I see this is an older post, but have some insight on this issue. I don't know if this will help you with your problem, but it fixed our problem. Having worked in a ready mix concrete facility, we had a bad abrasion issue at the end of our main feed conveyor belt dropping material into silo's. The previous mechanic used T1 plate as a backing with conveyor belting in front of it, the assembly hanging from chains. The assembly would last about a month. I would have to replace the T1 plate and rubber belting. I got tired of repeating this repair. I got a new piece of 1/4" T1 plate, spot welded expanded steel in front of the plate with the grooves facing up, so when the material came off the conveyor belt the first time used, it filled the expanded steel crevises with the material, instantly made the plate 1 1/4" thick. Rehung the assembly from the chains at the top of the exit of the conveyor belt. Never replaced the assembly again. I left the concrete business 3 years later. I know of Linetex and have used it in the past. It has it's applications. Sound deadening is one of them, (rolling material in a drum). Hard to beat T1 plate. Hope this helps with an idea.

ChrisNYC

Try Vortex spray liner, I think the whole set up use to be about $14000 and it does come out of 55 gal drum.

Tom

Not sure if I am positing this in the correct thread I have a Portable VORTEX spray on liner System Everything is self contained simply plug your VORTEX system into a standard outlet and away you go. It was only used a handful of times business did not work out with partner the asking price at $7800. 00404_jb3ie8tdW8C_600x450.jpg00M0M_anluhPPh2TS_600x450.jpg

pheeren

Tom
The machine itself from Vortex is a little over $16,000... over $17,000 if you get the material you need as well. I have one for sale if you are interested.

Portable Vortex KV-5006 spray liner machine in good working condition for sale. buying a brand new one would cost you over $17,000 including materials needed to start you off. No need for all that when I have a used one that works and all you would have to do is get the material for it. Selling it for $9,000 OBO, we did have some activator left over but I dont think it is any good. We have about 6-7 rolls of Vortex Tape UNUSED that I will throw in as well as a power operating respirator. anyways, if you want pics just email me @ paulsautoatv@verizon.net or call me at 1-757-562-7714.