• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Spectra LR60 or LR50 ?

farmboy555

Occupation
Owner Operator
Looking at the specs on them. My question is the angle compensation on the LR60 worth the extra money?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
What are you using it for? I think if you have it on an excavator it would be pretty important.

suladas

Yes it is a million times over. I rented the LR50 once and hated it compared to the LR60. For the little bit of price difference it's well worth it. At least for what I use it for, on my excavator maybe different if on say a dozer.

JPSouth

Yes it is a million times over. I rented the LR50 once and hated it compared to the LR60. For the little bit of price difference it's well worth it. At least for what I use it for, on my excavator maybe different if on say a dozer.

Bumping this thread..I'm looking at an LR60W setup, wondering about:

1) - What spread of pipe diameters will the unit clamp onto? My stick has hard-line secondary hydraulics running down both sides, no room for the magnetic mount so will have to fab something I can unbolt when working on brush or anyplace that might damage the mount. Narrowest bucket is 18", so there's adequate clearance when trenching shallow, flat or sloped. Unless on septic installations, most of my work is electrical runs, water lines, target depths are easy enough to eyeball.

2) - Have you found that the magnet mounts/pipe clamps hold pretty well if the digging isn't easy going? I'm having a tough time justifying the $700 dozer mount, but a fair bit of my dozer work is finish grading on building pads, etc., would save quite a bit of time when working solo. I'd be using the unit for myself, but would come in handy when I'm subbing to other guys. Mag mount would make it easy 'n quick to set up and go. If I was going to use it solely on my dozer, would just make a solid mount.

suladas

I will have to measure it but i'd guess it's about 1 1/2" pipe. Oh yea that mount ain't falling off. I cannot physically pull it straight off the boom, there is a little piece on the bottom that forces the end out to get one side off, then the other will come off fairly easy. The clamps have never moved on me, I tighten them in pretty good. The only time it fell off was on a dig when I was swinging the boom in really heavy spruce trees, and frankly I shouldn't have been regardless of the laser because it could have ripped off a hydraulic line.

JPSouth

I figured that mount was probably pretty stout. There isn't really a heck of a lot about those receivers to be found, a couple simplistic 'how-to' vids, one retailer has a comparison video about 2 minutes long that really doesn't go into anything of substance. I've been using a CR600 for awhile now, it works well but is limited to flat terrain jobs, have to be really tight on stick angle/bucket position to be correct on the read. It has it's place, but the LR60 with in-cab wireless, plumb indicator and allowance for stick angle is a big leap forward. My scope of work really doesn't merit a 2D or 3D system, but when I'm prepping for flatwork the 60 would be great, save me a lot of trips in and out of the cab to run grade. Same with building pads that need to be within a tenth or so. I really admire the guys who can cut a 100' flat pad by eye, but I'm not there yet, probably never will be.

suladas

I rented the 60 quite a few times being buying just to make sure it was worth the cash as i'd never seen anyone here using them, everyone still has a guy in the hole and I don't get it, mine paid for itself after about 15 days. The one time they didn't have a 60 and said try to 50, it was awful, without the plumb indicator it was crazy how much it was off digging. I've never used it for prepping a pad but it would be faster for sure. I don't bother using it on my mini, too much hassle to setup and try and fit on the stick. I trenched for 100' of gradebeam yesterday, once I get my elevation, I only check it about every 20' so it's maybe an extra 5 minutes total of getting out to check grade, not really worth setting up laser for it.

I have never used the wireless cab monitor, and I set is up differently then they say. I get my height, then I put the bucket to that area climb up on bucket and set the laser to be on that spot, they recommend a really roundabout way of doing it.

farmboy555

Occupation
Owner Operator
I rented the 60 quite a few times being buying just to make sure it was worth the cash as i'd never seen anyone here using them, everyone still has a guy in the hole and I don't get it, mine paid for itself after about 15 days. The one time they didn't have a 60 and said try to 50, it was awful, without the plumb indicator it was crazy how much it was off digging. I've never used it for prepping a pad but it would be faster for sure. I don't bother using it on my mini, too much hassle to setup and try and fit on the stick. I trenched for 100' of gradebeam yesterday, once I get my elevation, I only check it about every 20' so it's maybe an extra 5 minutes total of getting out to check grade, not really worth setting up laser for it.

I have never used the wireless cab monitor, and I set is up differently then they say. I get my height, then I put the bucket to that area climb up on bucket and set the laser to be on that spot, they recommend a really roundabout way of doing it.
Thanks for the info, nothing like a hands on review

JPSouth

I wondered that when I watched the one instructional video, several steps when one or two would do. Like you, the physical setup on the stick is what concerns me, I'll have to fab a mount but there does happen to be a pretty convenient set of bolts for the hydraulic lines that would work for the mount. Then I could set the tripod up for height to be close, and have maybe a foot or so of leeway up and down to match grade.

Shimmy1

I know this thread is over a year old, but I gave up on mounting the receiver to the excavator stick years ago. Obviously it is more risky having it on the bucket, but the accuracy is so much better.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I know this thread is over a year old, but I gave up on mounting the receiver to the excavator stick years ago. Obviously it is more risky having it on the bucket, but the accuracy is so much better.

Dear Shimmy 1 : Any chance you could post a couple close up pictures of your LR 60 mounted on a bucket. Couple different angle shots would be sufficent. I am assuming you are using the LR 60. I posted a picture of a snow bucket turned pusher about 1 week ago that I built for next to nothing and works great. ( On Forum for Skid Steer Attachments )
I am sure your idea probably is a big time saver.
Any pictures would be appreciated.
Simon C