1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Spectra GL422N review and digging for the plumbers

Discussion in 'Lasers' started by skyking1, Jan 15, 2022.

1. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

We just got the dual slope GL422N, and I have had a couple of jobs to check it out.
    It has been good on battery life.
    The target and remote control both take regular AA batteries, but also good. I have not changed batteries in the target yet.
    It took a while to figure out the functions as the included instructions are just trash.
    My biggest single takeaway is the dual slope and how to use it on plumbing jobs.
    It will do the single mainline slope and the branches to one side without moving the laser or the grade rod, which seems natural and helpful.
    What I figured out is, if you set the laser directly in line with the main trench, it will do the other branches rather easily as well if the slopes are the same.
    You simply turn it off, rotate the laser 90 degrees and line back up with the trench. Turn it on and it will re-level and go. Now the branch slope becomes the main trench slope, and vice versa but now to the other side of the main trench.
    If you do it right, you won't need to reset the grade rod either. That was not so intuitive but it works and saves a whole lot of time.
    To speed this switchover up, use a regular level to set up the tripod as level as practical. This speeds up the laser's automatic leveling when you rotate it.
    Now we can march down a whole plumbing job without resetting the grade rod each time you dig a branch.

BigEv likes this.
  2. brianbulldozer

brianbulldozer Well-Known Member

The beauty of having a remote control is adjusting the grade on the fly without disturbing your setup. If the branch slopes are the same either side of the mainline and the laser is in line with the mainline as you mentioned, you should be able to toggle between + and - slope for the cross axis, depending on which side you are working on (and never get off the machine).

KSSS likes this.
  3. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I'll have to try that.

4. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member

This will only work if the branches are perpendicular (at 90 degree angles) to the main trench. If they are 45 degrees (or anything other than 90) the indicated slope percentage will not be accurate.
    When digging plumbing trenches, I have always re-set the axis to be parallel with whichever trench I'm digging. In fact, the story pole/receiver height is usually changing regardless as most plumbers want the branch lines to enter the main line at either the 10 or 2 o'clock position, not at flow line.