• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Spectra 1242 laser won't rotate

Not You

I have a Spectra Precision 1242 single slope laser. I put in new batteries and the battery level indicator shows full. It will self level and adjust to a dialed in grade just fine. When the green light comes on to show that it's level, the laser won't rotate. I tried adjusting the RPMs to every setting it has, but it doesn't rotate at all on any setting.

It was working fine for about an hour before this happened. The tripod and laser were not touched at all and it just stopped working. I set it up again the next day and it still wouldn't rotate.

Is there a fix for this?

still learn'n

Does that one have a little belt to rotate the beacon? We have some 722s and sometimes that belt can break

Not You

I'm pretty sure that's what happened. It's in the shop and we'll see what they find.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
The beauty of those self leveling rotary beams as that they will not rotate if they sense that they are not level so the problem could be many things but of course we look for the simple things first.A bit like my first wife.Ron G

rossaroni

I had the same thing happen with my laser. Levels up, and you could hear the rotation motor engage, but the beam wouldnt rotate. I popped the case open, and sure enough, a broken band. Mcmaster Carr sells O ring belts to suit this application. I measured the broken one for the replacement size, and $3.50 later, we were back in action.

Not You

I had the same thing happen with my laser. Levels up, and you could hear the rotation motor engage, but the beam wouldnt rotate. I popped the case open, and sure enough, a broken band. Mcmaster Carr sells O ring belts to suit this application. I measured the broken one for the replacement size, and $3.50 later, we were back in action.

Well, I decided to take the more difficult route. I dropped it off at my dealer, who in turn, sent it to another dealer in another state, and it may be weeks before I get it back. It will also cost a lot more than $3.50 I'm sure.

rossaroni

Well, I decided to take the more difficult route. I dropped it off at my dealer, who in turn, sent it to another dealer in another state, and it may be weeks before I get it back. It will also cost a lot more than $3.50 I'm sure.

A buddy of mine always tells me how lucky I am that I can fix everything. Yeah, lucky me. I buy used stuff that has faults because, yep...I can fix it. Sometimes I have to think that a payment would be worth not having to wrench on my stuff constantly.
That said, I would not call your route more difficult, just more traditional:)

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Luck favors the prepared mind.Ron G