• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

specialty tools for working on pavers

catfixer

I am going to start transitioning into working on pavers this winter for my dealership doing some rebuilds and hopefully going to the field eventually. I am wondering what if any special tools will make my life easier. I have already purchased a good air hammer with a wide variety of long and short bits (looking at purchasing a backup as well). the only guy we have who works on pavers stays in the field most all of the time so I haven't had a chance to ask him.

catfixer

our shop provides a torch thankfully. From what I understand I will be spending most of my time heating, scraping, and air hammering asphalt away. Was also told by an older tech that ear plugs are highly recommended when heating asphalt because tiny molten bits love to find their way into your ears.

crazy-mp

Invest in good hand cleaner and some water jugs nothing is worse than working on the underside of a paver after its been run for several hours in tack oil, your steering wheel will never be the same. I also wear coveralls even in triple digits because I would rather sweat than have oil all over my truck seats.

Ben Witter

Use the air hammer and forget the heat for most of the work. Heat just makes a bigger mess you will have to clean up. Wear your ear plugs not only to protect your hearing but to keep the bits of asphalt out of them. Get a bunch of junk screwdrivers and stiff bladed scrapers to help clean with.
Also pick yourself up a nice 4ft magnetic level to check the screed plates, also string line and mig wire can work well.

Mr. Butcher.

Hi catfixer, i've done abit on some of the European (old I/R ABG kit) now Volvo pavers also wheeled Blaw-Knox stuff. The best thing to hand I find is a couple of tins of WD-40, various scrapers, handfull of rags/toweling, rough screwdrivers and Oxy/Acetylene kit with a cutting torch (the introduction of the additional oxy straight away just blows tar off surfaces like nobodies business!). A good chunk of time is spent cleaning asphalt/tar off components its the fastest way on site to clean stuff I find. Hope it helps.:)