• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

special tools for changing hydraulic hoses?

I'm wondering if there's special tools needed to change hydraulic hoses on the 580 ck? I have all kinds and sizes of wrenches, etc.. but I'm wondering if there's anything special needed. Specifically, it looks "pretty busy" where all the hoses come together at the area beneath the backhoe tower controls.

I have several hoses to disconnect and replace, most not leaking but pretty worn out looking.

Also, I'm curious about opinions on making as many (as possible) of the hose connections quick connect, just seems to me that you can change out future hoses with less hassle and mess, probably worth the slight extra cost

emmett518

I changed a couple of hoses on my hoe, and aside from making sure the pressure was drained off, I just used a normal wrench.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Crowsfoot can be your best friend and a hammer IMHO. A good wack with the hammer on the fitting then use the crowsfoot. No room to swing a wrench, easy, put a rattle gun on the crowsfoot.

mekanik

A set of these are a good invesment.
V8T9810_1200Wx1200H.jpg

hosspuller

The appropriate wrench is called a flare nut wrench. Basically, it's a box wrench with a cut-out to go around the hose or tube. I've found a regular wrench will distort a stuck hose fitting where a flare nut wrench distributes the torque better.

Nothing is an all case wrench. Every installation is unique and you'll have to figure out your situation.

Vetech63's little picture shows crowfoot flare nut wrenches at the bottom.

56wrench

I've used those 12 point thin flare nut wrenches and they spread too easy for most tough hydraulic fittings. I only use mine for fuel lines in some restricted access areas. Also I have some cheap regular combination wrenches that i have heated and bent/modified for really bizarre tasks

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Also I have some cheap regular combination wrenches that i have heated and bent/modified for really bizarre tasks

Better hide those modified wrenches if you worked for the outfit I did! They got all kinds of upset about modified or homemade tools. Then again they did not jump though hoops to get you the tools if you brought that subject up.

On the same topic if they hired an outside mechanic to do a job they had no problem with them doing things that they would have a hissy fit if I tried doing the same thing! Goes to show they don't give a rat's ass about the man doing the work just their possible liability if someone is hurt.

Delmer

Quick connects are a non starter, as mentioned.

Sometimes it makes it much easier to remove the hose from the fitting, then use a socket to remove the fitting BEFORE you round it off. A chisel from the end will cut through the crimp, or you can chisel through the hose. Nothing wrong with an adapter to a flat faced fitting to avoid removing lots of extra hoses. Adapter fittings are cheap. Flat face O ring fittings are easier than pipe thread.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Delmer hit it right on the head, if you're gonna replace the line/hose anyway cut it off at the fitting and most times a deep socket will fit and allows the afore mentioned rattle gun or large ratchet to do quick work on the remaining parts, it also allows you to remove "stuck" 2 piece fittings from the component itself and heat in a vise so you can save the expensive base fittings in most cases...As far as getting a big fat wrench on the base fitting where they're too close to the other ones get a cheap open wrench and grind er down to fit between the "flats" on the neighboring fittings and they will usually prevent the wrench from opening when torquing on the hose fitting....

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Angle wrenches, good crows, cheap crows to put a gun on, and a long pin punch for the air hammer.

Yet to find a line that wouldn't come off somehow, if the pin punch doesn't work it gets the chisel bit. The nut still works even if you have to nick it a bit.

crane operator

A set of these are a good invesment.
V8T9810_1200Wx1200H.jpg

Anyone buying offset angle wrenches like these- try to find the snap on ones- they have 30 and 60 deg offset ends. The usual cheap knockoff ones have a 15 and 60, and the 15 isn't really that useful, because its the same offset that a standard combination wrench has.

Tekton is making the 30 and 60 deg wrenches in the usa now, but for a long time snap on were the only ones offering that configuration.

https://www.tekton.com/angle-head-open-end-wrench-set-wae90108

Also pump wrenches can be kind of handy in a tight spot for bigger fittings. They have a much shorter handle, and sometimes that's pretty useful.

tekton-30-60-angle-wrench.png
8857050-11.jpg