1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Spammer Alert

Discussion in 'Support' started by Shimmy1, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Looks like they've found the forum.... Screenshot_2017-07-28-18-26-23.png

2. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Field Service Tech
    I reported 1 of those posts to the mods earlier this week.

3. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 Senior Member

Operator/Mechanic/Truck driver
    thats the best you can do is report them so they find them quicker.

4. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
    Last year during the Great Live Streaming Spammer Attack of 2016 we were getting a dozen or more a day. One weekend I think I deleted 60 spam threads like that one. Back then, the first thing any of us did was to check for new spam threads. If every spam thread had been reported, our inboxes would be overflowing. Nowadays, we can be a little more relaxed, so it is helpful to get those reports.

Say what you will about the new software, one good thing about it is that it checks new registrations against a database and if the IP, username, or email matches a known spammer, it needs to be manually approved. That's been a big help.

5. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

I had pretty busy fall, not on here too much, but am wondering if the "live streaming" has ramped up lately, or I've been on more and see it? Just wondering out loud.

6. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
    It seems that it has, a bit. As has enthusiasm for reporting them. I think one that I deleted earlier today had been reported by five different members. Nowadays I get a feeling of accomplishment if I can find and delete the spam before anybody reports it. :)

7. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

So, I know the reporting (and not to do it) was an ongoing issue on the old site, and I think talked about on here? Do you want us to report, or just ignore them?

8. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
    Actually, these days, the first thing I do is to look at the reported posts, and delete the spam. I'm not sure whether Willie and CM do it that way or not.

With this software, it's usually only three clicks of the mouse, because there's a "spam" button. Click on that one and it not only deletes the spam thread, but it also deletes anything else the spammer has posted. It's not the issue that it once was.

9. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    Yep, that's pretty much what I do digger. Occasionally I run across a spam post first when I peruse the new posts page as spammers, especially streaming spammers, make it easy to spot them in the way they title their threads.

10. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton Senior Member

11. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    I’ve been reporting every week or so for about three months . I usually find them in general industry questions