• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

SOUTHSTAR Processing head.

loggers son

Occupation
shovel logger operator
the company i work for owns one of these units...... last i heard southstar had gone broke and we couldn't source parts from them anymore.Will see if this is still the case next week

Drifter

yep same company and people....... still broke down here

Hey I pm'd you and offered to help two weeks ago what do you need? I will pm you some phone

Southstar is Owned and operated in Canada now.

Last edited:

csquared

i ran the quadstar 500, serial number 001 on saturday. hard to judge tho as it had sure grips opposed to danfoss controls I'm used to. well built, a lot of thought into it. going to be competition for waratah.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I think they have better features than the Waratah. They are now designed and built by Waratahs founder I hear.
4 feed wheels that you can independently power and at head diagnostics are icing on the cake.

MutsMachines

Occupation
railroad worker
seems like they are a very good prossesing head. in my opinion from the videos they waste a lot of wood but that could just be the operator. also just my opinion those operators are slow and I believe those could do a lot more wood in that amount of time. would like to try one some day.

prolog nz

Anyone else had a chance to run these heads recently? I am looking pretty seriously at purchasing one so any thoughts would be good, I hear there have been a lot sold into PNW and Canada in the past 18 months.

cutting edge

Anyone else had a chance to run these heads recently? I am looking pretty seriously at purchasing one so any thoughts would be good, I hear there have been a lot sold into PNW and Canada in the past 18 months.

They're good,but just like the competition,they have their glitches .In talking to guys,theyre no better or worse than Waratah.

I cant understand why you wouldnt go with Waratah,seeing as youre in New Zealand,parts and service for the SS might be a little tough....

the 622 4x4 looks to be a winner,but youre probably loooking for a bigger head....the new 625c looks good as well

csquared

IMG_8713.jpg
QS500 on Volvo 220D last week on a demo vs 622C waratah. 622C has been parked since the operator tried the south star.
Pm'ed you Prolog

Last edited: