• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sooooo... How's everyone's quarantine going?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
This is only the emergency measures act. If it was the war measures act, they could come into your house and make sure you're not hoarding toilet paper

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I guess it depends how many people were there and what they were doing. People are foolish if they are ok with the government trying to control things this much. It will be a cold day in hell before the government tries to come into my home and tell me I can't have a few people over.

Just a thought here, would you pull out the guns and start shooting people who had a warrant for entry?

Welder Dave

One of the few things Trudeau Sr. did that actually worked was invoking the War Measures Act and they could go into any house they wanted to. The Emergency Measures Act is just a new name that was updated in 1988 with some limitations. They haven't started going into everyone's homes but could if it got bad enough to warrant it. The Emergency Measures Act hasn't been implemented by the federal gov't. but some provinces have implemented their own form of it.

Last edited:

highwayghost

Occupation
Emissions Analyst
They can charge you with anything, but making it stick may be a whole different story. The local government here made some ordinances and enforced them for years until someone stood up to them. The ordinances were reversed, I’m guessing there was a huge settlement they had to pay. Government now often strong-arms things that aren’t legal. Guilty until you prove yourself innocent?? Sometimes they get caught. I’d guess our founding fathers are rolling in their graves about now!

Last edited:

Welder Dave

The War Measures Act in Canada that was used in the Quebec crisis didn't require warrants. A snipet and then the full story.

"On October 16, Trudeau invoked the War Measures Act, which suspended basic civil rights and liberties. It allowed police searches and arrests without warrants, and prolonged detentions without charges and without the right to see a lawyer. It was the first time in Canadian history the Act was used during peacetime."

https://www.cbc.ca/history/EPISCONTENTSE1EP16CH1PA4LE.html

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
89744210_1114723635586756_3315507262641930240_o.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Today was a good day. Wife to Doc, had a little spot start expanding on upper lip. Started at it two weeks ago and back into surgeon today. Two hack and waits 8 stitches and certain they got it all, she will be permanently attached to a Sunscreen bottle from now on. Started today at 9, home at 4:30.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Today was a good day. Wife to Doc, had a little spot start expanding on upper lip. Started at it two weeks ago and back into surgeon today. Two hack and waits 8 stitches and certain they got it all, she will be permanently attached to a Sunscreen bottle from now on. Started today at 9, home at 4:30.
I gotta start watching that. I have a few spots on my ears that will bleed if I burn them, and a raised hard spot on my left arm. Doc says they are harmless for now, but to learn how to use sunscreen

suladas

I know that pain. I get a bad burn on a cloudy day. Maybe it's my old age but I always wear a hat if i'm out in the sun now. I got 3rd degree burns on my back and shoulders as a teenager and was warned not to let those areas get burned again.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I had a small one taken off my face about a year ago, only about 1" away from the eye. That was kinda too close for comfort and made me sit up and take notice. It was a weird thing, to start off with I thought I'd scratched myself because it bled a bit. Then it scabbed over but every couple of days the scab would fall off and it would still be "red raw" underneath. That's when I booked the date with the dermatologist.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Worked a FEW Honey Buckets over the years, remember one driver brought one to our shop where was working a brake issue and he with BLUE Tint still on his hands reached UNDER the driver seat said time for lunch, blew the ?dirt? off the baggie enclosed sandwich pulled it completely out and started munching. Stopped a split second, said "oh, the bread must be going bad" pulled a moldy section off tossed away and finished the rest. I Did NOT eat lunch that day, stomach was rolling.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have to keep ahead of the curve with this stuff, lost a friend that constructed Grain bins a few years back where he ignored some growths. The hacking never stopped until not enough left to cut away and the cancers beat his Doc's treatments. My own grandfather ignored coughing up blood at Standard Oil refinery, until would not control. He quit smoking and moved to the country and did what he could but was also too late. Toward the end the Doc convinced him could extend life by removing parts and pieces, he did not gain many months and was miserable until he passed.

Be mindful of that which ails us, it is all deceivingly easy to ignore and be dealt a bad hand.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
My dad pulled wrenches all his life. He enjoyed it and was good at he. He didn't believe in putting on new parts unless the old one couldn't be fixed. At 65 semi retired from his job, and started driving wrecker for a friend, and working out of his truck instead of someone elses shop. Heart disease runs in his family and he did what he could to keep from dropping dead in his 60s from heart failure. We were installing a new washer and dryer in his family homestead. His sister lived there alone. The narrow basement steps meant we had to take everything apart and put it back together in the basement. He cut himself, and it was the color of those shorts Hooters girls wear. I said you should go see about that. As it happened, he and my mother's family Dr had retired and they appointments to see a new Dr the following month. The doc ordered a full swath of tests because they were new patients. About an hour after my father's bloodwork, the hospital called and wanted him back. After 3 weeks of testing the Dr said he was pretty sure it was hairy cell leukemia. He said if you are going to get cancer, this is what you want. A few mild treatments and you might live to be 100. Just need a few more test results to be sure. Next day he came in. Mr Vickers, you don't have cancer, you have melody spolastic syndrome. With treatment you might last another year, I'm sorry. Almost roboticly he walks to the next bed. Mr Doyle the cancer on your optic nerve has moved to your brain, you have 1 week maybe 2, and walks out. The nurse later told my brother that he tells at least 20 people a day that they are going to die. Anyway, 4 months later my father died from bleeding out in his brain as a result of his condition. If he had lived another 37 days, he would have been 70. MDS your bones renew your blood. MDS shuts this down. You need transfusions a couple times a week. Your blood won't clot, hense the bleeding in the brain. It is caused by exposure to benzine, in gas, oil, fuel and other chemicals. The job he did for all those years killed him. Now I'm not saying that it is going to get everyone, in fact it's quite rare. I should wear gloves, but I can't manipulate my fingers with gloves on. I don't wash my hands with gas or fuel anymore though.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
A lot of stuff we have all been around has bigger hazmat documents than most rag papers anymore, we have all been in those conditions if over 40 where took a shortcut, did not wear gloves, washed parts or ourselves in stuff not meant to be on humans. We will all pay a piper to some extent where none of us get out of this life alive either, just shorten our time considerably.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I have a feeling from serving this great country is what will take mine in the end, it will be drawn out but as time goes on the ability breathe will get worse and suffocate in the end. Only 38 never smoked great shape but cause time in war zone of sandstorms, sulphuric fire, burn pits, burning feces with JP8 and oil pit fires I now have RAD reactive airway disease which I believe will turn in COPD in the future. When I get sick as I am now I have trouble getting air and smells simple as cooking choke me. Inhalers don’t work at these times but the world doesn’t stop to rest so why should I. Depressing yes but I savor the good times and do what I can to live normal.