• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sooooo... How's everyone's quarantine going?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I have some colorful opinions of how things are presently, however Digger would have me shipped to a small deserted island south of Tahiti somewhere if I were to start down that road. I agree with you history is a clear eyed judge without emotion and will pass judgement in 50 years or so... I'll be crowding 120 or so... hopefully I can hang on to read the book! LOL!
Mother Deuce, I spent several hours in Tahiti back in 2015, take my word for it stay in New England! In 50 years I too will be 120 so don't think I'm going to be reading any books by then!

Tugger2

Just be careful because people are going crazy from being in lock down! Actually I've just been talking about this with the microwave, toaster while drinking coffee and all of us agreed that things are getting bad. I didn't mention anything to the washing machine as she puts a different spin on everything. Certainly not to the fridge as he is acting cold and distant. In the end the iron calmed me down as she said everything will be fine, no situation is too pressing. The hoover was very unsympathetic... told me to just suck it up, but the fan was more optimistic and hoped it would all soon blow over!The toilet looked a bit flushed when I asked its opinion and didn’t say anything but the door knob told me to get a grip. The front door said I was unhinged and so the curtains told me to ........yes, you guessed it .....pull myself together
:)
I have made this the subject of family reading at dinner . we are wheathering this thing together with some of the grandkids and their parents. Its a madhouse here .Thanks for the humor.

JPSouth

In my end, was just getting things going a bit when the market crashed, changed the game for me and a few others I know. Others haven't been affected all that much. Warmer days, doing some shop work, replaced hoses on a used Daniels Manufacturing Beak attachment I bought this year. Changing oil in the rear ends on the L8000, trying to figure out the last piece of the puzzle on 8.3's overheating problem - lotsa new parts and cleaning hoses, radiator, checking for head gasket leaks, etc. .. it's a puzzler.

Winter is always slow here, time to socialize until May starts seeing a little green, miss spending time with neighbors. One down the road from me is a master mason/stonelayer and has spent over 20 years putting together a little western town on his place. His saloon is the best place in the world to go shoot both the bull and pool on a cold Sunday winter afternoon; can't wait until this is over, may have more time than I want to do just that. Beak2.jpg BuckinHorsePool1.jpg

seatwarmer

Occupation
Enterprise Engineer
The ACMOC on line store has a number of "yellow and associated" books listed. At our board meeting Tuesday we discounted the prices to help folks whom are cooped up. Check it out. A cheap and fun read is 'Beer and Diesel Fuel'. It is a well written, humorus life story about a Cat Corporate engineer who was assigned to Central America and traveled all over diagnosing difficult issues with machines. Lots of adventures in crazy places.

EDIT: Just goggle ACMOC and click on the store on the heading at the top.
Thanks for the offer IOH, but me and SO got our reduced hours and 20% income reduction notices yesterday. So books moved to the luxury list. Crap part for me is company say they will give me 2 day paid leave extra per month because the client I'm at expect 5 days a week and I will be working full hours but pay is reduced. I already forfeited 5 days paid leave for last year because of "operation requirements" at the client.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Got into the failed trans this morning. Found my culprit but uncertain as to actual cause. First check, Shift drum movement, free and slides appropriately, next up tried moving gears on shaft as thrusts all appears normal, Hi R moved fine Lo R would only rock on clutches. Got that end apart, had a mix of Bronze and fibrous clutch Frictions, the fiber unit(4) appear to have failed and glued to the steels. The getting hot part I do NOT understand as this shaft resides at bottom of case fully immersed at all times.

Went to supplier for these (0) on hand of either so making Net part number requests to see if ANY are out there.

IMG_7524.JPG IMG_7527.JPG IMG_7528.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I did not take the clutches apart when resealed this box
Thought no need so this is on me if they were already degraded
I only checked pack height on the four stacks
All the time I have owned has had adequate oil, Lo reverse was not functional as seals were crap until I resealed.

Mother Deuce

A road trip to Boise to help take it out would be awsome about now if it werent for all this Quarantine. Ive always wanted to check out their yard.
A road trip to Boise to help take it out would be awsome about now if it werent for all this Quarantine. Ive always wanted to check out their yard.
I stopped by there maybe 10 years ago maybe 12. I took a bunch of pictures for my Dad. I was still working on film then. I will try to find them. The guy that was there was extremely cool about my desire to just wander around out there.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If they slip, it doesn't matter how much oil they have. They will get hot.

That is true. When completed the reseal box sat for quite awhile, may have set too long and too dry and took a set. Then when first test operated all was fine until used lo reverse to cycle the gear. One time engaged and stayed engaged. Never slipped that I felt or noticed but could have been cooking in as was moving Forward and that was less than 100 yards first run. Second box resealed has not shown any slippage as been occasionally watching drive shaft when running, so far all gears functioning normal.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Do the pack pistons have cast iron rings? I've seen where the rings lost their stiffness and then wouldn't seal completely. That could also have been from past sins of shifting from forward to reverse without deceling the engine when shifting into reverse. Cat was probably the best at putting in the modulation for that but Allis and International never seemed to put that kind of stuff in till real late in their development.