• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Something to think about

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
When you walk into a business, you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. When you walk in the door and act like some bigshot and treat the employees there like crap, just remember that those folks working there that you're being a prick towards might just need some construction work done.

I've got a few projects around the property that are a little beyond what I'm capable of handling myself, either due to time, lack of equipment or lack of assistance. There's about a dozen local companies that I will not be calling simply because they couldn't check the attitude at the door.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I'm not sure who or where I heard this from but someone told me this years ago.

Apparently the owner of some large company somewhere would actually ask the receptionist about the mannerisms and behaviour of people who came in for an interview. Those who treated the receptionist respectfully and behaved professionally while waiting were moved forward in the hiring process while those who didn't had their applications chucked in the trash.

Truck Shop

It takes no more energy to be civil than it does to be uncivil--you reap what you sew.
But a high percentage of people who hate/dislike the common/todays term {politically correct}
are the worst ones commonly doing the politically correct thing.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Wife made a interesting comment this morning. Company she works for hired a intern for QC, he called the HR super last night and declined the opportunity stated could not find a rental house or apartment within thirty miles of the operation, makes it unaffordable. HR gal is friend of the wife, sent her the message asking if we knew of ANY places for rent even something the company could clean up, sent it to all employees. Sadly nobody knows of any so she is going to complain to city COC as to the support they give B&Bs yet not for those that are needed to work in the businesses of town. City shut down two proposed apartment builds as considered it detracting to city image.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
One other slight of the City, they have a outdated/replaced school building, SUPPOSEDLY cleared from Asbestos concerns and for sale, have tried to sell is for close to ten years now as ONLY accepts bids to use as a Arts and Crafts center, additionally three people/companies tried to buy to convert to apartments, also shot down.

Zewnten

Had the same problem. Just relocated to KC and it took 2 months to find a place that wasn't outrageous. Blessed to find something close to work that's warm and dry and big enough for the family. Coworker had the same problem, both of us spent a long time in a travel trailer until a house popped up we could afford.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Housing affordability is a major problem nationwide. Just hired a kid that has a 30-40 min ride to our shop. Trying to find him something affordable closer in but it's not available.

The way I understand it from a local housing guru is basically the down years of 2009-14 very few new homes were being built however the population still grew at the same rate. Couple that with 5 years of homes "wearing out" so to speak and it has created a housing shortage the likes I haven't seen in my lifetime.

Long story short it's going to take many years before we build our way out of it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
St Louis Suburbs are evacuating, moving N, W, S, and in SOME instances E. Skipping high cost counties headed to such as ours some three counties from STL proper. Land appeared cheap, same for housing and that has since shut off. We bought for convenience of my work and proximity to wife's relatives, land was expensive but not extreme, now its just nuts. Really considered building a couple rentals however $ per sq ft and new rental regs, I backed away quickly. Construction incl footer/slab no basements, $221/sq ft, NOT fully finished out. Anything Multi Family requires Sprinkler system, single family not but the Detector system has to alert local FPD, not so easy Rural and VFPD. Cost prohibitive. Vetting renters is a royal nightmare according to some that still have apartments here, getting damage repair moneys back next to impossible, and squatter issues have surfaced.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I've never been one for larger cities or towns. I ended up settling down in a small town between 2 decent size cities. So far no exodus to here (yet). In the next 10 years or so I'd like to get some land nearby and build a shouse to move into.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Construction incl footer/slab no basements, $221/sq ft, NOT fully finished out. Anything Multi Family requires Sprinkler system, single family not but the Detector system has to alert local FPD, not so easy Rural and VFPD. Cost prohibitive.

Wife and I are in the process of getting our construction/perm for our new house. I am estimating around $200 SF finished but that does not include any site work (obviously) and I have horse traded for our septic system which is another $10K.

Looking at $230 SF with the lot. I am glad we bought the lot in 2018 as it has doubled in value since then.

Last edited:

mekanik

In Canada after years of very low interest rates a lot of people got into debt with mortgages and second mortgages that they may not be able to afford with the interest rates creeping up. 60% of Canada's mortgage debt was incurred between January 1 2020 and June 30 2021. When these mortgages come due for renewal in January 2025 to June 2026 the average increase in the payments will be $1300 a month. A survey found that the average Canadian household if faced with a one time surprise $200 bill would have difficulty finding the money to pay for it.
I can see a big problem coming in the next few years.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
In Canada after years of very low interest rates a lot of people got into debt with mortgages and second mortgages that they may not be able to afford with the interest rates creeping up. 60% of Canada's mortgage debt was incurred between January 1 2020 and June 30 2021. When these mortgages come due for renewal in January 2025 to June 2026 the average increase in the payments will be $1300 a month. A survey found that the average Canadian household if faced with a one time surprise $200 bill would have difficulty finding the money to pay for it.

Interesting - what about 15, 20 and 30 year fixed? Whomever purchased a 5-1 ARM when rates were 3-4% are morons.

Low fixed mortgage rates are also adding to the housing shortage here in the US. People who have 3-4% fixed mortgages are not so quick to sell and move up or down depending on age when the interest rate is almost double for the next home. These homes are also removed from the market.

Flip side is materials and labor are more readily available. Down side is material prices are more expensive but not going down anytime soon either. Wife and I are "dating the rate" as they call it on a mortgage and taking advantage of the current material and labor situation. If rates drop in the future we will refinance if it makes financial sense. However 6-7% on a 20 or 30 year fixed is not a bad rate. When I started in the building business back in 1996 mortgage rates were 8-9% for great credit. I remember one customer having a 7% rate thinking that was fantastic.

Last edited:

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
How much are these people's mortgage payments to begin with if they'll see a $1300/month increase?????????