• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Somebody has to do it, and nobody else volunteers: the fixing saga

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Those fargin hyster forklifts have a habit of tossing the fans into the radiator. I seent it myself a few times.

skyking1

I am finally messing around with the bumper steel on the dump truck.
I stuck it up there on a bucket and a work deck and some shims and beat it around with a BFH till it was even.
PXL-20230111-000603390.jpg

At first it was a little tight when I opened the hood.
PXL-20230111-000731331.jpg

I worked it down until I had a little breathing room.
PXL-20230111-001444884.jpg

Now it is up on the welding table in the carport, and I will wrestle the drill press out there to work it. Sure wish I had a mag drill!!

I can either cut a toe hole or two in the bumper and clean it up with a grinder (lots of work),
OR
cut 3 pieces of box tube and hang a little step under the center for stepping up to grab and tilt the hood.
The original toe holes are up at the top of the bumper and wrong, IMO.
PXL-20220428-222803226-2.jpg

I would move the plate up and cut holes down lower, or put on that little chin step with the wirefeed. In either case it is better than those high holes.

skyking1

I got it bolted on and remembered I better put @Truck Shop (s) favorite trucker accessories on it. Here I am modeling the 'ol sticks in wood, getting the right eyeball height.
PXL_20230115_233709193.jpg

At first I thought a white flag, like surrender your mancard would be the thing. Then I realized my wife was working on some table runners for the folks that we get farm eggs from. BINGO!
PXL_20230115_233719051.jpg

Just for you Mike. I hope you get better soon.

skyking1

I had another love session with the old hyster forklift.
They gave in to a local church who asked to "borrow" the forklift on a weekly basis. Don't ask, I have no idea for what purpose. The agreement was for them to load it on a trailer.
They failed in that, and decided to road it down there the half mile or so, down a busy 40 MPH street past the regional State Patrol office.
I can't make this stuff up.
They got it there and used it, and roaded it back.
Our guys tried using it the next day and the throttle was stuck wide open. Hmmm.
I start diagnosing it and figure out that the cable is seized.
More investigation and I deduced the why, it is always fun to figure out the why :)
It is a little uphill and the borrowers mashed the pedal to the metal, and rolled in HOT and then turned off the key. The cable was not that close to the manifold, but it was close enough.
PXL_20230317_225018905.jpg

When I tried pulling the cable it had to spin as it went through, it had molded the liner around it like a threaded bore :D
2 days and 58$ later I had it fixed.
Little trick I thought of to deal with the multiple throttle springs:
Get them lined up and thread a wire through, then pull them up into place and slip the clevis through.

PXL_20230317_221712098.jpg

westerner

None of these backhoes, loaders and for SURE no forklifts were ever designed to be roaded farther than across the yard. Still does not stop folks from driving them across town. It hurts my mind to consider the notion....

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I roaded a deere mini the other day. Have rubber tracks, will drive on pavement lol

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
None of these backhoes, loaders and for SURE no forklifts were ever designed to be roaded farther than across the yard. Still does not stop folks from driving them across town. It hurts my mind to consider the notion....
My Case 580 Super N has ride control. It'll do about 19 MPH. I can be at "The Land" in 10 minutes. I can't hitch up the trailer in 10 minutes. Then, the truck towing the trailer will spin out on the steep hill. Dozer gets a ride on the truck by virtue of a loading dock at each place.

westerner

My Case 580 Super N has ride control.
And ride control works great. I have a Super M in my fleet that was the first backhoe I was ever around with it. Makes the machine far more comfortable and productive in any jobsite.

Does not help that pinion gear, or the planetary gears.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Loaders and skid steers get all kinds of miles roading doing snow removal. All night, just about every night, all winter. Up here its just what loaders do; work in the pit all summer, buzz around all over town all winter pushing snow.

skyking1

I demo-ed a 250 gallon heating oil tank today.
I started with mjolnir and the hatchet.
PXL_20230424_204244285.jpg

Once I had the end out I cleaned out all the oil that I could, then fired it off and let it burn out.

PXL_20230424_214456074.jpg

Then diced it up. All the fight is gone out of it, but I needed a shower.

PXL_20230424_225622541.jpg

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
You did it good. That ol’e tank won’t give you anymore trouble. Laying on its back with legs sticking up in the air.

skyking1

you know those cute stories where the kids are playing and lose their ball over into the construction site, and the excavator operator deftly passes it back?
Or that one where the operator put a tiny bit of dirt in a child's tonka truck?
Yeah this is not one of those.
The barrel chlidren were taunting excavator boy, like mean little kids do to dogs. They thought the fence would protect them.

PXL_20230426_205139135.jpg

It did not.

PXL_20230426_210020404.jpg

The end.