• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Somebody educate me on bucket teeth

TheOldMan

Occupation
retired
My of 580C is missing two teeth on the bucket. no telling how long the PO dug w/o them. This is my first piece of construction equipment, so I know nothing about much. It looks to me like the remaining teeth have a dimple in the side of the shank, and the tooth has an are "hammered" into that dimple. Does that sound feasible? How do I tell if the shanks that are missing teeth are usable? From what I read, the application determines the type of tooth one should use. I'm in Florida (sand) want to dig stumps, so need something aggressive to tear pine roots. Where do I start?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Re: the bucket teeth - the type you are describing is really old school - if using them on roots they will get stuck in them & you will lose alot of them. Probably best to upgrade it to a more modern system, using lock pins & with a tooth that you can readily buy locally. That means changing the shanks.
My advice to you though, that if alot of tree removal work is wanting to be done - best invest in a ripper attatchment.

money, money, money, must be funny, in a rich man's world..............:rolleyes:

Tinkerer

I have the same shanks and teeth you describe on my 680C. I lost too many teeth by using them with the dimple pounded in like they are designed to be used. For a long time now I have been welding the teeth to the shanks. A good heavy bead on the front of the tooth and another on the back. It is not very difficult out replace worn out teeth even after welding them this way. I have moved a lot of broken concrete (and I mean BIG pieces!) with them welded on and have not yet broken a shank. If you do weld them on be sure that the tooth is laying flat on the front of the shank. I had a couple of them that weren't and they broke at the welds in a very short amount of time.

TheOldMan

Occupation
retired
I'm not much of a welder, although I do have a good machine. To upgrade, I guess one would have to cut the old shank from the bucket and attach new ones, then pin on the teeth. I like tinkerers idea of just welding teeth on to the existing shanks. Then, down the road, if an upgrade becomes necessary, cut the whole thing off. Where and what do I buy to weld on?

packratc

I went to a hardware place that also rents machines. They had teeth in stock for sale. Cheaper than I thought. Packratc

trevor b

up here they are around $10.00 per tooth i lost 2 or 3 then quit using the lock pin's and went to 5/8 grade 8 bolt's haven't lost one since

Tinkerer

Somehow you would have to determine who made your bucket. If it is an OEM by Case you could go by the info. on this web page. If I were to replace a shank and tooth assembly I would cut one off of my bucket and take it to a local Case dealer and let them figure out which ones to get. They could also show you what your tooth style options are. I would sure want shanks that have holes in them for the pinned teeth.

http://www.colemanequip.com/Parts_Detail.asp?partID=21578