• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

some work pictures

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Tom is that the way your normally do the bottom by runing the wear bars all the way across the bottom. Looks like a better idea then cat does it. I'm geting ready to do a 336d bucket next week. Is the bottom of the bucket 3/8 like the sides? Thanks for sharing.

Jason

TomV may have additional comments, but I prefer doing it that way as it's just as effective as a wear bar compared to bars that are fitted linear with bucket teeth, and it's far faster and less costly to install as fitting them lateral doesn't require heating with a torch and bending the metal.

nowing75

Thanks willie. I was talking about runing across the bucket going to the edge. Looks like the stock bucket has the floor welded I between the sides causing them to be higher. Looks like the way tom does it would be much better. Now I just need to find some ar400.

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.
Jason, the bucket floor was formed out of 1/2" Hardox 450, and you are correct as the bottom was welded between the sides from the manufacturer,and the floor was wore out from the inside before the wear bars. As far as wear bars I have always put them across the bottom as they prevent abrasion from wearing the bottom of the floor, and also stiffens up the bottom.
Regards, TOM V

nowing75

Thanks Tom. Do you feel it's worth the extra price to use hardox for the bottom. Do you know what the factory uses for material? Thanks again for the info

Jason

FSERVICE

I think its worth the extra $$ to use the hardox or the AR plate!! It really makes a notable difference in the life of the repair.

TOM V

Occupation
Thanks Tom. Do you feel it's worth the extra price to use hardox for the bottom. Do you know what the factory uses for material? Thanks again for the info

Jason

Jason, definitely worth it, at least use AR400. I don't know what the oem uses but it does not last very long.

nowing75

Thanks for the input. I talked to alro today and they have a drop I can get at a reasonable price. Looks like you use 3/4 for the bottom wear bars on a 336 bucket.

TOM V

Occupation
Thanks for the input. I talked to alro today and they have a drop I can get at a reasonable price. Looks like you use 3/4 for the bottom wear bars on a 336 bucket.

The wear bar I used on the 336 bucket was 1"x4" Hardox 450.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Nice. Did you wear the other one out? Or just time for an upgrade?

Last edited:

TOM V

Occupation
Willie, it's 17 years old, was getting tired, can't have it going down in the middle of a job so it was time to give her a break.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Willie, it's 17 years old, was getting tired, can't have it going down in the middle of a job so it was time to give her a break.

Amen, and after 17 years of service, I'd say it's earned some retirement time. ;)

TOM V

Occupation
Jerry, I am going to keep the old machine for a spare and the new one is a BIG BLUE TURBO.