• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

some work pictures

dirty4fun

Very nice looking repair, Tom, as is the norm for you. Thanks for taking tme to share your work with us.

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.
Some pics from saturday, another mini thumb repair to do.
2012-06-30_11-29-03_433.jpg2012-06-30_11-28-22_885.jpg2012-06-30_11-40-12_710.jpg2012-06-30_12-10-14_876.jpg

TOM V

Occupation
A few from yesterday, a Timbco forwarder with no hydraulic functions.
2012-07-02_16-52-41_609.jpg2012-07-02_16-52-51_396.jpg2012-07-02_16-34-18_990.jpg
No splines left on the pump shaft or drive coupling.

outbackrider

How does that happen? Lack of maintenance, grease?
Did you have to rebuild the pump, new shaft?

Last edited:

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
i have never worked on a wheeled timbco only tracked, usually there is a funk box which has three drives outputs usually driving 5 seperate pumps, 1ea for tracks, main implement, pilot (unless taken off of main control valve) and saw pump........one pump and no funk box oh how nice that would be...............................theironoracle

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Tom V, what is behind the cab on this machine? on the tracked machines it is the main control valves but i see in this picture they are on the left side of the boom.......theironoracle

Shortymankins

Thanks Tom V. Your thread has become addictive (cant wait to see whats new). Always learning something and amazed.

TOM V

Occupation
Tom V, what is behind the cab on this machine? on the tracked machines it is the main control valves but i see in this picture they are on the left side of the boom.......theironoracle

The fuel tank is located behind the cab.

joeeye59

Occupation
A Man with a Backhoe

The first time I did this kind of job was on a JD 310c backhoe, I didn't have one of the two seals set in place correctly because it was folded back. what happened was the engine oil crankcase filled up with what seemed like 3 quarts of diesel fuel in about a minutes time of running the engine.

After I installed it I had a quick question about something so I called the guy back who rebuilt the pump, I thank God I called because his Father mentioned the importance of the seals being installed correctly giving me the heads up to look for the oil & fuel mixing in the crankcase... not sure what would of happened filling the crankcase full of diesel fuel...

I hope this info helps somebody some day because it sure saved my life !

Love your set up... God Speed and then some...

d9gdon

Yep it's happened to me before too joeeye59. I didn't have any problem on the first machine that I did cause I was told to make sure the seals didn't get folded back. On the next one just a couple of months later, I put it on and took it off at least 5 times before giving up and taking it to an expert. I had torn seals and folded them over and ruined a bunch of new oil before I gave up.

They didn't tell me to keep the governor wired open like the injection shop had it when putting it back on the engine damn it!

joeeye59

Occupation
A Man with a Backhoe
d9gdon..., I had this excellent guy who sadly closed up shop and cannot be found anymore here in CT. rebuild my pump. he told me to keep this stiff wire in place while I install the pump, but I never realized the importance like you were saying the governor/throttle lever needs to be open..., too bad you had to go through all that...

Last edited:

joeeye59

Occupation
A Man with a Backhoe
Hi Tom, have you ever custom build a "fixed thumb" on a Backhoe, I say "fixed" because its not plumbed for hydraulics.., perhaps something light weight? a few manual settings so to fine tune it to operate accordingly to the type of bucket thats on it for the time being.

Or am I missing the knowledge all together that there is an attachment made already thats out there for it?

I'm building a stone wall and can use a thumb...., of course the conditions are of light duty for its use. something light weight.

Joe

Last edited:

TOM V

Occupation
A few shots from today, a Bandit Beast with a C18 needing some exhaust work.
2012-07-17_06-58-13_4.jpg2012-07-17_08-26-04_84.jpg2012-07-17_08-49-59_928.jpg2012-07-17_09-27-45_694.jpg2012-07-17_13-22-12_321.jpg

TOM V

Occupation
Hi Tom, have you ever custom build a "fixed thumb" on a Backhoe, I say "fixed" because its not plumbed for hydraulics.., perhaps something light weight? a few manual settings so to fine tune it to operate accordingly to the type of bucket thats on it for the time being.

Or am I missing the knowledge all together that there is an attachment made already thats out there for it?

I'm building a stone wall and can use a thumb...., of course the conditions are of light duty for its use. something light weight.

Joe

Joe, it would be cheaper to buy a thumb than for me to fabricate one, I would love to build one but the customer would hate the price.