• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some random pics

dirty4fun

Hey nedly, very nice looking job you did. Kind of nice to be doing work that your dad had been on. Pretty darn nice looking country you get to work in. Look forward to seeing the next batch of pictures you share with us.

We got the first rain in a month and a half today. Very welcome I hope we get more this week. Have a house to knock down and then dig a basement for a new home. Then haul in dirt for the yard, after the house is framed. Work as been busy but not much with the excavator so will be all the more enjoyable.

nedly05

Thanks dirty! A lot of the places we work, I'm the 3rd generation on my Fathers fathers side. My fathers grandfather (mothers side) was a paver. So essentially I'm the 4th generation to work at a few of them. Ive torn out blacktop that my great grandfather layed when my father was a boy! Lots of history around here.

We need to get you posting some pictures of your jobs, I'd love to see your hoe and truck, and the country you work in!

dirty4fun

I will have give it a try sometime to post a few pictures. Pretty much corn and bean fields around here, no pretty spots like where you work or like it is in Aspen where CD works.

nedly05

Some pics from the fall.

Here are a few pics from my fall. Nothing too interesting, just some brook work and a new USA bucket in this set. Had to remove a bunch of woody debris and skim gravel from this brook to help control flood water. All of the small streams (and big ones) are a mess since Hurricane Irene, we will likely be doing some stream work every season for a long time.

Attachments

• funch brook work.JPG
    funch brook work.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 590
  • ready to load.JPG
    ready to load.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 602
  • 110 parked funch.JPG
    110 parked funch.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 592
  • new bucket.JPG
    new bucket.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 598

nedly05

More pics.

I hauled some asphalt for my buddy as he was stretched out and needed a truck. Had to pick up some Eljin mats, and the family wanted to tag along and go to the pumpkin patch, so I improvised and packed 26 of them on my truck. Got a lot of strange looks on the way home LOL! And a little driveway I made some improvements to, cut a new road in to lose some grade and make it a little more manageable.

Attachments

• fine pave.JPG
    fine pave.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 585
  • eljin load.JPG
    eljin load.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 593
  • clark road 2.JPG
    clark road 2.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 596
  • clark road.JPG
    clark road.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 591

nedly05

Ran into some boulders we couldn't move. Blasting wasn't an option, so we drilled and used a boulder buster to break them up and rented a breaker to finish up. Carrying some fill into a tight spot with the 410 and a pile of frost from last week.

Attachments

• frost.JPG
    frost.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 599
  • breaker.JPG
    breaker.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 589
  • 135 breaker.JPG
    135 breaker.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 589
  • 410 stovers.JPG
    410 stovers.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 585

nedly05

Last ones for now, the 110 ramped into the excavation to deal with rock. A fire I responded to with the FD this AM and my new truck.

Attachments

• club dig.JPG
    club dig.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 585
  • uj fire.JPG
    uj fire.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 592
  • f250.JPG
    f250.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 578

OldandWorn

Thanks for the updates Nedly. Good looking truck and logo. How well did the Boulder Buster work for you?

nedly05

Thanks!! The boulder buster worked well on the rocks that were completely exposed. It got us some fractures to work with so as far as I'm concerned it was a success. Its a very cool tool, and we will be working with the contractor who owns it again for sure. Its amazing what can be done with water and a little charge.

dirty4fun

Looks like some more good work in some real scenic country. Thanks for sharing.

We had 4" of frost on Monday when I dug out an old sidewalk and some dirt for a concrete pad. It was 50 on Wednesday and 6 this morning.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
nedly05, just don't straighten out too many of those curves up there in the Adk. Mtns! They are lots of fun on the motorcycle.

Have you been on the road to Stillwater Reservoir? From Eagle Bay over to near Lowville, that road could use a little work on the washboard gravel!

nedly05

Looks like some more good work in some real scenic country. Thanks for sharing.

We had 4" of frost on Monday when I dug out an old sidewalk and some dirt for a concrete pad. It was 50 on Wednesday and 6 this morning.

Our weather has been all over, snow one day rain the next. -5 last Saturday and almost
50 on Thursday. Next week looks weird too.

nedly05, just don't straighten out too many of those curves up there in the Adk. Mtns! They are lots of fun on the motorcycle.

Have you been on the road to Stillwater Reservoir? From Eagle Bay over to near Lowville, that road could use a little work on the washboard gravel!

Never been on that road, I love the lowville area though. There are plenty of rough winding roads around here!

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Your 110 John Deere excavator sure is a good looking machine just needs some loving on the dozer blade, nice work your doing there.

kshansen

Occupation
Never been on that road, I love the lowville area though. There are plenty of rough winding roads around here!

Well if you do take that road make sure you have something with good suspension! Lowville area is nice we spent a couple days there last spring. Motel had hug parking lot with signs saying where the snowmobile trailers should park! Think it will be a few months before I will head up there on the bikes:eek:

nedly05

Yeah, snowmobiling is huge up there, but with the amount of snow they get you need a hobby to get through the winter!

nedly05

Cold today...high of -6

Its chilly here today, -6 and snowing. Usually doesn't snow much at these temps but were getting a little storm today, really light fluffy stuff.

I was hoping to just putter in the shop, but I got 3 calls to sand driveways so I had to fire up the loader and the F550. They started well without being plugged in. I let them run about an hour and a half before I went out.

I still don't know how to type between the pics, which is sad lol, so hopefully they'll be in order.

#1- DOT officer wanted some sort of bumper welded off the hitch plate. There's supposed to be an "impact guard" 18" off the side of the vehicle, mine was 30". I had some schedule 40 2" pipe laying around so I used that, and the mig with .035 wire to weld it on.

#2- It needed paint, so I cleaned up the whole hitch plate and primed/painted. Then I thought some DOT tape might look nice, well its too shiny and reflective to get a good pic now lol.

#3 Headed out sanding, the sun is trying to come out!

#4 Loading up.

#5 The sand pile. 2 rows of mafia blocks that had a portable garage on it. The garage collapsed last winter and I haven't done anything to replace it. I was standing there when it fell in. I wanted to puke, it was only about 3 weeks old and it was a real PITA to put together. Not sure what to do just yet, but I need to do something because this tarp business is for the birds.

Attachments

• 5500 hitch plate.JPG
    5500 hitch plate.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 609
  • finished bmpr.JPG
    finished bmpr.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 605
  • snowy road.JPG
    snowy road.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 609
  • 550 loaded.JPG
    550 loaded.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 606
  • loading sand.JPG
    loading sand.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 605

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . nedly05. Could you elaborate on "sanding driveways" us lucky bastards who live in warm places have never heard of the concept . . . maybe similar to sanding logging roads?

And how the heck do you bill out such work, by the hour or yard of driveway? I mean to say you have to get the equipment started and warmed up in marginal conditions, expenses that aren't incurred in "normal" situations . . . although, on reflection you blokes probably consider this normal? (he grins)

Cheers.

kshansen

Occupation
Yair . . . nedly05. Could you elaborate on "sanding driveways" us lucky bastards who live in warm places have never heard of the concept . . . maybe similar to sanding logging roads?.

I butt in here a little as Nedly is probably out working! The sanding is to give traction in the snow, most likely on the steeper driveways as he is up in the mountain country. If you look at the second to last picture close you can see the contraption on the back of his truck that does the spreading of the sand. Very close in basic design to one of those walk behind machines that you seed a lawn with only much heavier duty. Some have their own small engine and others run of the hydraulic system of the truck.