• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some pics of my current project

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Did you disturb Mr. No Shoulders enough for him to move somewhere else?
I left him just as i found him. I would have moved him but something about fangs, poison, hospitals and being labeled a "dumb ass" made me think differently. Hopefully, he will have relocated himself come Mondy. I have however been able to save two. I walked both outside the job property line. The King snake was obviously a baby. The egg was about the size of my thumb nail. Who knows if the two were related?

20220104_120103.jpg 20220106_104416.jpg 20220104_120157.jpg

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Wish we could see the rest of the broken shaft. Looks like a fatigue break. Wonder what started the break.
Well... since you asked, I feel extremely compelled to reply. Be aware that my reroly is only my opinion . It may be right, it might be wrong. It's only my opinion and for the sake of this conversation, that's all that matters.
Here we go...
The break broke thanks to todays new generation of tractor drivers.
Notice that I used "tractor driver" instead of operator. These kids are young, limber and they really don't give a $h!t about the equipment they run or their health. They hammer down everywhere they go. They use speed to make up for a lack of skill and lack of experience. Have you ever noticed how everything comes to a screeching halt when the GPS goes out? Grade checkers who don't know how to use a hand level, a prism or carry a 100' tape. Operators who have never relied on the "bubble in their ass" . That's the majority of todays workforce. Raised on the internet and trained on their "play station". What once was a skilled trade, isn't anymore. They run as if they are getting paid by the load instead of by the hour. Take that and add in the lack of support equipment.. you get broken bales, cut tires, cracked hitches , broken glass and broken spindles. Oh yeah... they saved a buttload of money by not having any support equipment... Either way, I get paid to run them and I get paid to fix them. The overtime I get every week would make your head spin. Bottom line, it's all money in the bank. If someone is willing to throw their $ at me, I'm more than willing to take it.

you had to ask ....

AzIron

Technology has really put my generation at a disadvantage of being efficient ask most concrete guys if they have a chain tape and they dont know what your talking about

The real problem is people learned the tech and never mastered the basics so when things get out of the box they cant adapt and the tech allowed for a serious amount of a lack of theory and concept understanding it's why achetects design things that cant be physically built

I have really noticed in the last 2 years the number of college degree construction managers and not that it's bad that they went to school but that degree is being treated like job experience

The next slow down will sort this out a lot there wont be money to pay for the lost time with screwing around with tech for 5 minute layout

I have one customer especially handiedcaped by there total station and lasers cause batterys are always dead and something is always blocking line of sight and they have no clue how to use an offset because no one taught them

It boils down to this the construction industry has had a real vacume in leadership not bosses or managers but actual leaders that build people not jobs that changed probably 20 years ago in my opinion and the full effect of that trend is on display

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It looks like a flaw in the metal on the break at about 6 o'clock.

That would come under "defects in design or materials." Were was the machine built.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
It looks like a flaw in the metal on the break at about 6 o'clock.

That would come under "defects in design or materials." Were was the machine built.
Peoria Illinois.

I'm pretty sure that the constant bouncing over boulders had something to do with it. 20220114_090619.jpg

Last edited:

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Looks kind of spendy.
The parts will come from this machine. #86 was traded in
(cut up) last year for a new K. Front and rear blocks had holes burned in them and the frame was cut. Anything and everything else is used as needed to keep the older machines running. That includes fuel systems, pumps, diffs etc...
20200731_074006.jpg