• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some pics of my current project

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
\
Talk about running it till the wheels fell off

That seems to be normal for the contractor (which shall not be named) that I'm working for. I'm almost embarrassed to even admit who it is that I am working for. He's got a bunch of equipment and I'd say.....75% of it is worn out dangerous junk. But....its a paycheck. The pay is good...more than I had expected and there are some benefits. I'm not sure how long I'll last here since I have a real hard time keeping my feelings to myself especially when it comes to my safety, my job and my pay check. I'll just ride this one out as long as I can.

Meanwhile, I'll humor y'all with some pics.. I'll call this series "The rich get richer collection".
Enjoy:D

They have decent water trucks. Unfortunately, too many different people run (hammer) them and it takes half a dozen phone calls to get their company mechanic to fix anything.

20191120_160001.jpg
20191028_080859.jpg

20191028_115500.jpg

RollOver Pete

Occupation
They ran this rock bucket for another 2 weeks after I told them that it was falling apart.

20200115_112114.jpg
20200115_112109.jpg

A fine fleet of 51's

20200417_074634.jpg

RollOver Pete

Occupation
D8R that I ran on a weekend. Red light started flashing and an airflow restriction / engine de-rate showed on the screen . Nobody on the job except me so I handled it.
This is what I found..
I didn't know that a radial seal air filter could hold so much dirt..
20200313_124038.jpg 20200313_124241.jpg 20200313_124405.jpg 20200313_124628.jpg

petepilot

\

That seems to be normal for the contractor (which shall not be named) that I'm working for. I'm almost embarrassed to even admit who it is that I am working for. He's got a bunch of equipment and I'd say.....75% of it is worn out dangerous junk. But....its a paycheck. The pay is good...more than I had expected and there are some benefits. I'm not sure how long I'll last here since I have a real hard time keeping my feelings to myself especially when it comes to my safety, my job and my pay check. I'll just ride this one out as long as I can.

Meanwhile, I'll humor y'all with some pics.. I'll call this series "The rich get richer collection".
Enjoy:D

They have decent water trucks. Unfortunately, too many different people run (hammer) them and it takes half a dozen phone calls to get their company mechanic to fix anything.

View attachment 216534
View attachment 216535

View attachment 216536
someone needs to explain to the co. mech that capscrews don`t work in those locations

RollOver Pete

Occupation
I'm speechless... 6/6/19? WTH
And the majority of these machines , 1/2 of the 51's, 2 of the 9L push cats, 980B and 8R have been repowered . The repowered 51's ride like crap, have lose hitches but run strong. The 51's that still have V8's are nice machines . The hitches are tight, the seats work and the cans will actually come up out of the cut when you pull the lever. That's because nobody wants to run them....lotsa smoke and not enough power. None of the 51's have working parking brakes or service brakes. The retarders kind of work depending if the machine builds air or not. Caning out is all you got unless you're climbing a grade. Throwing your can away doesn't work if your machine dies and starts rolling backwards. That happened to this company a few years back . They said the operator had a heart attack causing the machine to run backwards down the hill hitting a 57 at the bottom. I don't know how anyone was able to determine that? Maybe the fact that he didn't bail out as soon as it started rolling backwards? Unfortunately, the seat belt did work. Massive head trauma from hitting the back of the ROPS proved that. Regardless, he still lost his life that morning.
I only found this out about 3 months ago. Had I of known before I hired on, I wouldnt have hired on. It's one of those situations where the pay is good and once again steady. I can't afford to take any time off to look for something else. Not until I can build my savings back up....which in reality won't be any time soon. My ongoing friendship with the IRS and FTB just about guarantees that. All self inflicted and my fault. But should anything ever happen while I'm at work, the wife knows to lawyer up.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Today ..... I saw a man die .
Um.... about 7:30 am I watched a bucket come off of a Hitachi excavator. I just happened to be looking in the right direction where an underground contractor was digging storm drain when I see the bucket fly off as the operator was swinging around towards the ditch. My first reaction was" damn....thats embarrassing". It never dawned on me as to just how dangerous that could be. So I kept on pushing and ripping and just doing my thing. A short time later I see an ambulance, two fire engines and about four police cars come onto the site. Well...it turns out that the bucket landed in the trench on top of a laborer. Apparently the operator along with a few others on their crew had started CPR. The fire dept took over and after what seemed to be 30 minutes, they loaded up and headed for the hospital. The laborer died on the way to the hospital. Man.....my heart hurts for everyone involved. Especially the operator. That's going to be hard, if not impossible to go on after an accident like this.
I don't know the how or why this accident happened. It really doesn't matter at this point. But somewhere here in So. Cal. someones daddy and someones husband isnt coming home. And it hurts thinking about that. I didn't know the laborer and I dont know the operator, but I'm still gonna say a prayer for them tonight.

mitch504

Yeah, I hate when anybody gets under a machine. A lot of people think if a hose blows, they'll have time to move, they won't. I have seen a trackhoe blow a boom lift hose and the bucket dropped faster than you can blink.

I also feel for that man's family, and for that operator. That would be hard to live with.

Today I loaded a tandem dump driven by the supervisor I am working under on a big job I am doing for the SC DNR. I dumped the last bucket in the truck and backed up about 4 feet. He said something, and I shut the loader off. I didn't put the bucket down, which was wrong of me, but I just wanted to hear his comment. The idiot walked under my bucket to wipe a handful of lime off the body, then stood under the bucket talking to me for about 90 seconds. I couldn't put the bucket down, and I was afraid to crank up and back away with him between the loader and the truck. I came within an ace of telling him to f@($ing move! This would have gone over very poorly, as he is not very friendly.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
It will be interesting to see what the OSHA investigation comes up with.
I personally always shake an attachment and put down pressure on it to insure that it is locked with the coupler . After yesterdays accident I noticed the operator back on the machine while a few police and what must have been some kind of investigators , about 3 of them standing by the machine. The operator went to hook up the bucket while everyone watched. I did not see him curl the attachment to unlock it before hooking the bucket. He then grabbed the bucket and lifted it about 6 " in the air without curling it again or putting down pressure on it to make sure it was locked in. Anyways, he lifts up and as expected, in front of God, the inspectors and everyone else, the bucket drops and hits the ground. Not good.