• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some people should know better.

crane operator

There's a guy a couple miles from my shop with a construction business. He's different, and not someone I do business with, because he's got more issues than just being different- but that's a whole different story.

We drive right by his shop early this week, and I see a fresh painted Cat 420D backhoe, up on a gooseneck trailer, behind his single wheel, 3/4 ton duramax crew cab. I wanted to take a picture, but I was in the lowboy. I drove by later with one of the guys with me, and we talked about how it was a accident waiting to happen.

Well it didn't take long. I came home for lunch today, and at the top of my hill sat the highway patrol by his empty truck and trailer, and I could see a 5-6' round hole of broken boards where the backhoe bucket would sit. I just turned around, and went over on the highway and saw the carnage. I didn't even stop to ask what happened, because I knew. Fortunately (God protects fools and children) he didn't hurt anyone.

I know he popped the hill and was going too fast, there's a little curve, and it bounced him and took off sideways, and he ended up in the cliff face on the other side, in the oncoming lane. Its a miracle someone didn't get killed.

If someone had been seriously hurt, I know I would feel bad- knowing it was a bad idea when I saw it, but I'm not sure what I could have done to stop him from driving it.

Anyways, I did get some pictures after the fact:

20180920_124612.jpg 20180920_124018.jpg 20180920_124049.jpg 20180920_124058.jpg

Tags

Glad no one was hurt....you just can't fix stupid....:rolleyes: What are the chances he actually had insurance on it?? That'll cost a pretty penny to put back together…

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
But the trailer had enough brakes to stop it! He should serve some prison time for being such an idiot.

crane operator

I have no idea how he had it tied down. There's no obvious damage to the tie down rail in the picture of the trailer, and it doesn't look like the tie down point on the backhoe shows anything either, but that doesn't mean he didn't have 2-5/16" walmart chains on it. One thrown over each bucket on each end- we've all seen guys that tie down like that.

I kind of think that the trailer started jacknifing and trying to come around him, by the tire marks on the pavement. It probably was kind of climbing up on the drivers side, trying to roll, and across the highway and hit the bank on the far side, while the truck and trailer slid into the ditch.

Didn't look like the trailer came far enough over to damage the side of the box on the truck, but probably came up enough that when the backhoe hit the bank, it shoved it enough to punch the beams below the deck, and then the bank may have stripped it off the trailer.

The picture is kind of deceptive, there's a pretty good hill there, that starts above the curve you see, and the area that he went off in is pitched pretty good also. The corner is pretty flat, not any bank to it, which doesn't help either. Not much shoulder to come back on.

Interesting enough, there was a not very pretty loader arm repair under all the new black paint.

20180920_132606.jpg 20180920_132617.jpg 20180920_132622.jpg

Tags

I have no idea how he had it tied down. There's no obvious damage to the tie down rail in the picture of the trailer, and it doesn't look like the tie down point on the backhoe shows anything either, but that doesn't mean he didn't have 2-5/16" walmart chains on it. One thrown over each bucket on each end- we've all seen guys that tie down like that.

I kind of think that the trailer started jacknifing and trying to come around him, by the tire marks on the pavement. It probably was kind of climbing up on the drivers side, trying to roll, and across the highway and hit the bank on the far side, while the truck and trailer slid into the ditch.

Didn't look like the trailer came far enough over to damage the side of the box on the truck, but probably came up enough that when the backhoe hit the bank, it shoved it enough to punch the beams below the deck, and then the bank may have stripped it off the trailer.

The picture is kind of deceptive, there's a pretty good hill there, that starts above the curve you see, and the area that he went off in is pitched pretty good also. The corner is pretty flat, not any bank to it, which doesn't help either. Not much shoulder to come back on.

Interesting enough, there was a not very pretty loader arm repair under all the new black paint.

View attachment 186361 View attachment 186362 View attachment 186363

Looks like a bird found the perfect place to relieve himself…

Reactions: DB2

Crummy

Should buff right out good as new.

I have drive cam video of a way too big dozer on a rig just like that rolling down the highway but I can't find it right now. Accident waiting to happen in front of me. Even with an OS articulated dump on the wagon I needed to get around and put distance between me & him. "hold your lane dude, hold your lane...." The guy gave me thumbs up when I went by!
uShip specials.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
This is the reason I sold my F450, it might of been strong enough to handle that loader but I feel more safer with a 2 ton truck handling weight in that load bracket.
Better to have too much pulling, stopping and carrying power than not have enough when you need it most and someone gets hurt or killed.

P.S. I could of welded that better drunk lol.

AzIron

that poor backhoe is a goner lift arms bent rops is bent i bet the lift arm frame is tweaked and that is all but impossible to fix

there are close to a dozen owner operators here in the valley that run 1 ton duallys and goosenecks and 1 really stupid guy that runs a 3/4 ton one of the guys wrecked his truck 2 months ago while loading his backhoe because the drive axle got light and it took off out from under him totaled the pickup and tweaked the trailer these are accidents waiting to happen there is no way you should load 17000 lbs on that set up and be comfortable. they deserve everything they get

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Those are the guys who get on the forums and say, " I came out to my truck & it just clicked".. I have dash lites but it just "clicks".. I put in a new/used battery about 7 years ago...What could be the problem??
& 4 pages later>> "it turns out it WAS the battery..thanks guys"..
Fools..

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
This happened a few years back a couple miles here, but a man died because he was crushed by the tractor falling on him.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/f350-backhoe-trailer-fatality.57565/

I completely missed that thread. It was a good read. I have an F-550 / 2 7 ton trailers, a 10 ton goose neck trailer and several others. I lost all my trailer brakes and my f 550 is able to deal with the load. But your stopping distance is not good. The truck brakes will wear out very fast. I normally move 12,000 lb loads with the trailers.

For anyone that is reading this. A deck over trailer is much more dangerous than a low slung tag trailer. Most bumper pull tags are much less likely to dump the load under less than good driving conditions due to the center of gravity being lower. The grand goose neck vs bumper pull debate. Goose necks place the load in a better place on the truck axle but 90% of them are deck over the trailer tires. Some of the newer dump trailers are not and they are awesome. Look for a deck between the tires for safer load moving. They sit lower. But your trailer deck is not as wide unless you have them specially made to drive onto the fenders.

The truck makers have over rated the new trucks and the loads they supposedly can carry are not safe. When your load goes above 5 tons (trailer + load, most 2 axle equipment trailers weigh close to 3000 lbs plus) be aware that you are at risk of being wrecked by the load... at any time. If the brakes fail, a tire blows, or someone stops to fast you might end up wrecked. Gravity and curves can over come your truck system quickly. Wind can push you off the road. Slick roads will wreck you. AND improper(not enough) tongue weight will fish tale you and wreck you as will too much tongue weight break your hitch.

It is dangerous carrying a load with a pickup sized truck. Once the gear begins to wear the danger level goes up until you wreck if you don't do it PERFECT every time you move something. I have been wrecked lucky I was the only one effected. I have broken hitches. I have broken wheels, lug studs, dozens of tires, broken springs, worn out spring hangers, broken spring bolts, and I weld broken welds constantly.

I have and love my class 8 truck, you are much safer in a bigger truck... but I still use my smaller truck to move the small machines. I own a forklift and I can turn my trailer over. Fix welds, fix broken hangers and hardware and such. It is a constant job. Brakes will wear out and steel will break. A trailer inspection occurs every time a machine goes on. Be safe and drive slower than you think you should. Arrive to work.

I have had this trailer down for almost 10 days now. Needed brakes adjusted, new deck, brake away unit services, a ground fault repaired, ramps re-welded, bearings cleaned and greased and repacked, a power lead to break away battery added. Just to get this trailer back in shape to carry a load. The frame members are all bent going under the deck from the load hitting the boards, so extra thick 1 3/4" tubing was welded in to reinforce the frame work. It will bend inline with the rest of the bent members. Constant job keeping your trailers safe...

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

workshoprat92

Unfortunatly its all to common of a sight in sw missouri. I pay thousands to be leagal. Dot numbers ,haul for hire authority, million dollar limit of liabilaty to be able to haul motor vehicles leagle. It just infuriates me when i see guys like this. Nothing about this is leagal! Probably running farm tags and insurance also!20180411_172015.jpg

ianjoub

I haul my 10,500# MTL on a 26k GVWR goose neck dump trailer behind a 2017 F-350 crew cab, long bed dually. It tows very well. It goes straight down the road, handles turns well, and the trailer brakes stop the truck. I am pretty sure I am close to legal weight limit when I haul the loader and a few attachments.

workshoprat92

Try this.

I haul my 10,500# MTL on a 26k GVWR goose neck dump trailer behind a 2017 F-350 crew cab, long bed dually. It tows very well. It goes straight down the road, handles turns well, and the trailer brakes stop the truck. I am pretty sure I am close to legal weight limit when I haul the loader and a few attachments.

What your truck will haul leagally is just one part of the equation. If your doing this as a buisiness anything over 10k lbs is under dot jurisdiction and requirs a dot number and all the headache that goes along with that! Are you aware that hauling motorized vehicles that you fall under hazmat rules now? Cfr 173.220. I dont care what your trailer is rated for. If your total gvw truck trailer and load exceed your vehicle manufactures gvwr you can bet your getting a ticket. Saying "I think im close to being loaded legal" is such an ignorant statement and does not fly when your pulled over on tje side of the road trying to explain that to the dot officer. There are so many ways to be over weight its not funny. Over gross, over plated weight rating, over axles, over bridge, over axle weight rating, over tire weight rating, on and on. And if you go over 24k you need a cdl. I dont think id go with an i think attitude and id go with an i know for sure method or you will find yourself on the side of the road placed out of service waiting for a tow truck with a driver that has all the correct information and accreditation. When you tell the officer that you didnt know his reply will be ignorance of the law is no excuse! Ask me how i know that!

ianjoub

What your truck will haul leagally is just one part of the equation. If your doing this as a buisiness anything over 10k lbs is under dot jurisdiction and requirs a dot number and all the headache that goes along with that! Are you aware that hauling motorized vehicles that you fall under hazmat rules now? Cfr 173.220. I dont care what your trailer is rated for. If your total gvw truck trailer and load exceed your vehicle manufactures gvwr you can bet your getting a ticket. Saying "I think im close to being loaded legal" is such an ignorant statement and does not fly when your pulled over on tje side of the road trying to explain that to the dot officer. There are so many ways to be over weight its not funny. Over gross, over plated weight rating, over axles, over bridge, over axle weight rating, over tire weight rating, on and on. And if you go over 24k you need a cdl. I dont think id go with an i think attitude and id go with an i know for sure method or you will find yourself on the side of the road placed out of service waiting for a tow truck with a driver that has all the correct information and accreditation. When you tell the officer that you didnt know his reply will be ignorance of the law is no excuse! Ask me how i know that!

I do not do this as a business.

Asking for forgiveness is easier than getting permission.

I am 'that guy' who will bring 5000 books of laws in the court to present to a jury when the prosecutor says that ignorance of the law is no excuse. Make no mistake, there would be a jury trial. The jury will love the big pics of all the legal things I could drive and tow that outweigh and outsize my rig.

https://goo.gl/images/hP7mvR

ianjoub

P.S. Laws vary from state to state. The rules in MO are not necessarily the same in FL. I am quite sure I could find an exception in the FL Right to Farm Act.

My line about being close to weight limit was meant as I know I am under, but approaching. There is no way I am at or over.

workshoprat92

All i can say is good luck with that! The laws have changed and that old im just a dumb farmer attitude dosent fly anymore. They are pretty serious about it anymore. Sure there are some minor local variations but all states pretty much mirror the federal dot regs