• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

some one shot a BB or Pellet into my curved CAT loader windshield

parttimefarmer

Question is can a small crack about 1/4 inch now - be repaired?
I see the advertisements of some one in small van coming to a parking lot and repairing a cracked windshield on a car.
Wondering if that would work on a curved CAT 910E front window.
Any one have experience in fixing these cracks.
I believe some one shot a BB or pellet into the window.

hosspuller

I've had several auto wind shields "repaired" The crack looks like a small bullseye ? Safelite uses a suction cup to draw a vacuum, then injects a polymer into the crack. This does several things. Stops the crack from spreading and restores "Some" clarity to the spot. Well worth trying instead of replacement.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Yes, you can have that fixed. One of my friends just retired from that business. He could fix most any glass chip or crack, and it stayed fixed. He was a local dealer for a company called "Superglass". You might try to find one of them in your area and have them come out to fix it.

hosspuller

I've had several auto wind shields "repaired" The crack looks like a small bullseye ? Safelite uses a suction cup to draw a vacuum, then injects a polymer into the crack. This does several things. Stops the crack from spreading and restores "Some" clarity to the spot. Well worth trying instead of replacement.

Added: It's far better to do this sooner than later. Wait... vibration and temperature changes (day to night) will propagate the cracks further.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You sure don't want to have to pay for that piece of glass.

Queenslander

If you can’t get it repaired straight away, put some cellophane tape, or similar, over it to keep it clean.
The mob here offer a lifetime guarantee.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I suppose that $470 doesn't include freight or installation?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I know there are reasons for using curved glass but....
Can't beat the good old flat glass at least with the local glass company we worked with Call them up with rough dimensions they would be there latest next day remove old window cut one right there and install it and if it wasn't a glue in window you were back to work in a couple hours. Glued in might have to let set overnight, they would try to schedule those near end of shift!

Got a kick out of them cutting the laminated safety glass. Score it crack then pour one lighter fluid at light it up. Soften the plastic enough to open to get in with sharp knife. Then have at the rough edges with a belt sander!

Tugger2

Im missing the side door on my 303 CAT excavator due to curved glass. Id be satisfied with a flat door on hinges rather than the fancy roller door. Zero clearance is great but it teaches you bad habits with swing radius. At least with a lump of iron on your tail the hard crash and scratched paint teaches you to smarten up in a hurry with minor damage. The 303 has been doing some ship demo , working around scrap iron is hard on gear.