• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some old TD-18 pics from my Army days.

hemetco

Occupation
i m mechanical engineer plus machining expert
THAT IS NOT TO SAY "OLD IRON" BUT "GOLD ARE ON"

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO THAT GOLDEN PICS FROM GOLDEN TIMES OF GOLD ARE ON

Thank You

hemetco@yahoo.com

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Welcome there hemetco how is work in your neck of the woods.

ih100

Many thanks for the TD18 pics, Ron. My Father drove one on a farm over here from 1952 to 1991. It was like Paddy's brush, new handle, new head but the same brush. In Dad's case, new tracks, rollers, engine (upgraded to 18A engine in 1967), clutches, gearbox but still the same tractor.
The farm had three at one time, two ex army, one (Dad's) bought by the British government for the groundnut scheme in Tanzania. I put some time in the seat ploughing under Dad's supervision when I as 16. Those steering clutch levers!!!! My oh My. Dad put in regular 12 hour days from harvest right through to spring. Didn't do him too much harm, he lasted until five weeks ago, just short of his 84th birthday. Mind you he was bloody near deaf. Straight through exhausts, it sounded like a Lancaster bomber on take-off roll from half a mile away.

stock

Occupation
Welcome there IH100 sorry for you loss thanks for the story .

Welcome to the forum..

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
They were good old machines.Mine was a 182 model I think,the first model with hydraulically assisted steering clutches.I like the sound of any 6 cylinder with twin exhausts but mine did not have them:).Thanks for the comments.Ron G

steve.k

Occupation
owner operator oilfield construction company.
awsome pics Ron

Those are great pics Ron you never get to many opportunities to see pics like that!
Thanks Steve

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Thanks Steve.DieselDave painted a picture of the one in my avatar and sent it to me.That man has talent.It is hanging on the wall in my computer room.I didn't know when I took those pics how much I would enjoy them in later years,I was just feeding my habit of cameras and developing the film etc.Ron G

stock

Occupation
Thanks Steve.DieselDave painted a picture of the one in my avatar and sent it to me.That man has talent.It is hanging on the wall in my computer room.I didn't know when I took those pics how much I would enjoy them in later years,I was just feeding my habit of cameras and developing the film etc.Ron G

Ok Rob you have all the equipment and talent so why not share it with us all?:idea

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
I am amazed that after all these years, there is one machine that has not been modernized at all...

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36424&stc=1&d=1236260824

WHY have they not come up with a better way to greese machines?

some of those bridge photos look exactly like the bridge in the new ice road truckers in India. I think my dad called them Bailey Bridges. I showed my dad, who was in France during that time in an army engineering group, this thread and this is what he had to say via IM:
FWD carer with Garwood crane, Bailey brige, pontoon brige, bridge boats, cable blade D7

the cable dozer with the knot tied in the cable is because it was 2 blocked and broke the thing that holds the end of the cable fast.

the only hydraulic was a gradall

yes (those long levers from the rear of the machine) made BIG biceps.

did you recognize the bailey bridge the same as on extreme truckers with Liesa in the India?
good brige and simple to build just takes lots of man power
see how thay used the same basic parts to build the uprights.

overall he said: brought back a lot of memories.
I love my Dad, It ment alot to me to be able to show him these photos and learn a bit more about this part of his life. Thank you for posting them and if you have any others please post them.

Last edited:

steve.k

Occupation
I'm Intrigued by the old War pics

Yes thanks again Ron.While Im not Intrigued about war itself that much, those old pics of the mass of equipment and the engineering feats you guys and other countries around the world did still amazes me!I had my Father inlaw who was a war vet and a couple uncles, but most guys were tight lipped about the war and pics were almost non existant.My father inlaw would only talk about it after a few whiskies and Jackie my wife says I was the only one to have been able to get him show some pics(that none of the family had seen).It must have been a heck of time for you guys and You all did us proud.Keep up the good photos.
Steve

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
Yes thanks again Ron.While Im not Intrigued about war itself that much, those old pics of the mass of equipment and the engineering feats you guys and other countries around the world did still amazes me!I had my Father inlaw who was a war vet and a couple uncles, but most guys were tight lipped about the war and pics were almost non existant.My father inlaw would only talk about it after a few whiskies and Jackie my wife says I was the only one to have been able to get him show some pics(that none of the family had seen).It must have been a heck of time for you guys and You all did us proud.Keep up the good photos.
Steve

Just for clarity,

The pics were taken in what used to be West Germany where I was stationed from '60 to '63 at Downs Barracks in Fulda.I was assigned to the 58th Engineers.
We used to do a lot of work for the German nationals building ball fields etc to keep everybody smiling.
I will post more as the spirit moves me and time permits,thank you for your comments.Ron G

My father was in Orleans France during the same time and has several photos as well. When he is back from his snow birding in AZ, i hope to scan and upload some of his photos to add to this thread. My dad had the chance to do some work at Omaha beach recovering some landing craft used in WWII. They moved them to what is now the Omaha beach museum.

steve.k

Occupation
Germany

This maybe another reason it intrigues me as a made a trip through west Germany last April.We attended a world tecnical trade fair in Hannover.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I would love to see your pics of old military construction equipment.I don't watch that "truckers" show so cannot comment on what you have seen there.The controls for the double drum unit on the dozer are spring loaded and can be operated with one finger if properly maintained.Thanks again for your comments.Ron G

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
Great pics Ron! Thanks for posting. As far as the M113 being the first in a series....they were. Same basic shape and look but totally new design. The 48's gave way to the 60 series and had the regular tank, a blade tank like you have talked about and a CEV (combat egnineer vehicle).

M1 tank is a whole new ball game...WOW! Got my first one in 88 as the tank commander! What a ride!

I served from 74-96, Armor! That included 3 tours of Germany 76-78, 83-87 and 91-93.

Rick

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Thanks for the comments Rick.I sure would like another ride in that M113 with that 413ci Chrysler in it!!What a sound!!
They upgraded it to a 6V Detroit,probably a 71,I don't think the 53 series was out yet.That would have had a nice wail to it too.Ron G

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Nice to see that they are still here.Thanks Steve for making this possible.I am sure that I will be checking them out in my final days even though I have the originals to look at there is always the chance that someone else might get some enjoyment out of them and make a kind comment,Ron G

Jedstivers

Thanks for posting those pics. My daddy was in the Army about the same time but stayed in the states. He was in the same kind of unit so it's good to see some of the same stuff he was working with. He's been gone four years now so I can't ask him anymore questions. Thanks again.