• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some old TD-18 pics from my Army days.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Here are some more of the same jobsite..........I remember it like it was yesterday.....LOL..........well,maybe the day before yesterday.:D
I am going to say that the second and third pics are of me on the third platoons dozer.That has got to tell us one thing,mine was down for repairs.That had to be for the ring and pinion after a ranking NCO showed me how to break ledge.Ahhhhh,it comes back to me now.;)
The dozer went to Hanau for repairs,seems like it was gone for a couple of months or more.Sometimes they just replace the machine but the one I got back was the one that I sent down there to be fixed.Ron G

Attachments

• 0839_edited-1.jpg
    0839_edited-1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,746
  • 0840_edited-1.jpg
    0840_edited-1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,747
  • 0841_edited-1.jpg
    0841_edited-1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,733
  • 0842_edited-1.jpg
    0842_edited-1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,742
  • 0843_edited-1.jpg
    0843_edited-1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,762

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Thanks for the pics and your service. I have a question on the TD 18's > On the last pics and some of the others they all had a cable control tube on the side of them achine and a floor mounted control instead of an over the hung control for a rear ccu. And that looks like a towing winch on the rear instead of a CCU. Did this machine have a CCU under the winch or was it a front CCU with a rear winch and the cable tube on there for spare purposes.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I imagine that all the TD-18s had the tube installed when built to military specs as it would be cheaper to install the tube than to pay somebody to figure out which dozer got it and which one did not.Adding the winch or CCU could be decided later depending on their needs.
The 58th Engineer company had three dozers,two with winches and one with a doubledrum CCU which was assigned to the first platoon which was the one I ran.That was in their charter I imagine.
All of the dozers were equipped with front CCUs and I ran my blade with the rear CCU because I liked the feel better than the front control unit.
Of course if I had to pull a scraper then I had to change to the front like the rest of them.Thank you for your comments.Ron G

hardtail

Great pics Ron....:) some new ones I can't recall seeing before, that looks like I good bladefull of material being moved there.......curious that the repairs weren't made in a safe field and machines were sent out?????? Keep pluggin away, with 2200+ views somebody's following along.........LOL

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Thanks for the explanation. Dad said the few Construction companies here all used TD 18's. My neighbors in the day had 12 of them and pulled pans. After he sold out and retirted they sold parts all ocver the country. Bonds used use them alot. Dad said Tom and travis bonds had one when working for their brother. He said it was hard to start and they had loaded it on the lowboy and pulled the blade up the the gooseneck. Dad told me they had left it running and had the clutch knuckled out to let it run. Then they chained it through the draw bar and took off to a site down the road they went undder a few low branches. Then they felt something and looked back and saw the old 18 comming up the gooseneck to the cab. they think the limb let the clutch engage. Dad asked Mr. Tom what they did and he looked at him and said we just got out of the truck no stopping just got out. Dad started out on a TD18 with the B&E blade that had the outside arms. He said it was teribbly slow and if you made wave you had to start somewhere esle because it wouldnt catch itself.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
A couple more of the last job then moving on.

These are probably the last pics of this job,we will be moving on to other things like bridgebuilding and other things that engineers do to make themselves accountable.
I will need to crop and edit some more pics before long,I also have a few color shots that will show up here eventually to add to the mix.Ron G

Attachments

• 0844_edited-2.jpg
    0844_edited-2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,748
  • 0845_edited-1.jpg
    0845_edited-1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,742
  • 0846_edited-2.jpg
    0846_edited-2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,746
  • 0852_edited-1.jpg
    0852_edited-1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,754
  • 0851_edited-1.jpg
    0851_edited-1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,741

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
The Bailey Bridge

I cropped and edited 150 more pics the other day so will have something to post for a while yet.I sure wished that I had taken better care of my negatives although I am not sure what I could have done.They were stored in sleeves in a scrapbook made for the duty of storing film.
These first two are of the dozer being used to move a bailey bridge as it was being built.We were using the piers of a bombed out bridge over the meine river adjascent to the site where we crossed it with a pontoon bridge every year when we bivouaced in Hanau every year for about three weeks to practice our skills and entertain the frauleins who were always plentiful,especially around payday:))
The last three are of some german contractors Cats parked at a construction site as we passed going somewhere.It appears that I am a rider here so that I could take the pictures so we may have been on alert and I was probably listening to that ole Mopar 413 thrashing its heart out making me smile and pushing that M113 personell carrier on down the road.
I will have plenty more of bridgebuilding and other interesting (to me) things in no particular order but hopefully of interest to the majority of our readers here.Ron G

Attachments

• 0853_edited-2.jpg
    0853_edited-2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,694
  • 0854_edited-1.jpg
    0854_edited-1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,696
  • 0975_edited-1.jpg
    0975_edited-1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,711
  • 0980_edited-1.jpg
    0980_edited-1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2,204
  • 0981_edited-1.jpg
    0981_edited-1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,170

Partsdude

Wow

Fantastic pictures please keep them coming.

I have to admit that when you (RonG) said on the first page that you had a lot of pictures and stories to go along with them the first thing that went through my mind was Abe Simpson. "Back in my day .... ZZZZZZZZZ!" :D

All kidding aside, please continue to show us young un's how things used to be done. :)

Last edited:

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I will be posting some color pics someday Ko0 but I ain't sayin' when.LOL.Glad to see that you enjoy them.Ron G

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
New tires??

We have all heard about the rotten tires that were circulated for our vehicles.Here is one that blew for no apparent reason while driving on one of the local streets and it blew with a bang,it was not low on air.
That is me doing wrench duty there,a rare occasion when I was not holding the camera.
That tire came on the truck as it was new,that is I was the first to use it after it was built but who knows how long it had been in storage somewhere.
I will include a couple of sorry pics of us under way convoying to who knows where for more excitement:))Ron G

Attachments

• 1105_edited-2.jpg
    1105_edited-2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,613
  • 1104_edited-1.jpg
    1104_edited-1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,594
  • 1103_edited-1.jpg
    1103_edited-1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,602
  • 1307_edited-1.jpg
    1307_edited-1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,631
  • 1308_edited-1.jpg
    1308_edited-1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,622

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Absolutely brilliant RonG please keep the pictures coming I have really enjoyed seeing them .

Stock

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
great pictures RonG, please tell me when you post in colour so i don't have to ask xena, LOL

those were the good old day, you had hair, you could wide load with no signs, beacons or permitts.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
A shot of defective welding,broken beckett on TD-18.

This might be the cause of the snarled cable on the rear of my dozer when we were out in the field back a few posts ago.You would think that I would remember these things since it was only 45 years ago or so.
I remember the girl that used to bring my lunch pretty good.LOL.
I will include a pic of the dozer sitting in our motor pool and a couple of color (don't tell KoO) pics of me to clear up the "no hair" comment a while ago.:D
The first one is of my new guitar that I bought in Germany,still have it and it is strung up as a dobro presently.The other one was taken last December,getting kind of gray now but I will never worry about growing bald I don't think.I turned 68 a couple of weeks ago.Hah!I guess that the motor pool pic was alread posted so I posted the original of that wedge pocket before I rotated it.I think it is clearer too.If you look at that weld you can see that it did not get good penetration in spots there.I doubt that anyone was horsing on the controls enough to break it if the weld had been good.Ron G

Attachments

• 1312_edited-2.jpg
    1312_edited-2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,533
  • 1313_edited-1r.jpg
    1313_edited-1r.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2,000
  • DSC04001.jpg
    DSC04001.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,997
  • 1366_edited-1.jpg
    1366_edited-1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,991
  • 1313_edited-1.jpg
    1313_edited-1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,540
Last edited:

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Pics of captured Russian tracked vehicle on my lowbed.

This looked to be a personell carrier,it was delivered to us by a squad of defecting russian soldiers who boogied across the plowed strip right into our hands.Wish I could give a more dramatic story with it but that is what happened.Now,the bad part.............I was on guard duty that day I didn't get to go pick it up.:(
It was parked on the parade ground so I was able to shoot the pics between shifts but I hated to have missed that one.
It was supposedly the only russian vehicle ever captured during peacetime up to that date anyway.
I am going to add a couple pics of my tractor in our motorpool,all shined up to go get the ruskies present to us.:D

Attachments

• 0023.jpg
    0023.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,497
  • 0024.jpg
    0024.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,486
  • 0028.jpg
    0028.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,479
  • 0029.jpg
    0029.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,479
  • 0030.jpg
    0030.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,508

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Thanks KoO,glad you enjoy them.I am still using that camera today....takes excellent pics,using color film these days of course.Not sure what you mean about what happened to X17.......It stayed on the base there when I left to return stateside along with the TD-18 assigned to the first platoon.........it is late in the day,it will probably come to me by morning.:).Ron G