• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some CSS help For HEF

BrianHay

Some things in the theme here never did get fixed after the site was hacked and then upgraded. One of which is how member profiles look. Here is a simple fix for that.

Find this in your CSS files...I think you will find it in member.css

Code:
#userprof_content_container {

float: none;
margin-left: 260px;
}

And change it to

Code:
#userprof_content_container {

float: left;
}

That should fix it up for you like shown in the screen shots.

Attachments

• hefprofileb4.png
    hefprofileb4.png
    96 KB · Views: 171
  • hefprofileafter.png
    hefprofileafter.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

mitch504

Thanks Brian, but,

How do you get to member.CSS?
I have been impressed by your website construction for the insulation company, but in websites I am like a lot of guys with equipment: "I just drive 'em, I don't know how to open the hood".

BrianHay

Thanks Mitch!

That insulation site is what I call a joint effort site. He knows no more about websites than you do but wanted to be a part of it's construction.

So I do all the design and technical aspects for him and then he just adds his written text to it, which is as easy as posting here with the software I use. After his content is added I revisit it and restructure that content to present it better and make it do well in the searches. He has full access to everything under the hood of his site if he wants to dig into it and learn and as well has my help if he gets stuck....or breaks it lol

As for member.css that is a file specific to vBulletin, the software that powers HEF. It is probably the most popular forum software there is. I don't have a lot experience with it though. I use ocPortal because it offers far more features. It has everything you could possibly want for both community or business websites and I think it is more secure too.

To find the culprit that is messing up profiles here I used firebug, an addon for firefox. It shows me exactly every little piece of code being used on a page, lets me edit it and preview the changes before editing the real file. That's how I got the before and after screen shots.

Once you have it figured out what file you need to edit you have to go into cPanel to find it. Not everyone uses cPanel but it is the most popular.

I was going to write a little tutorial on that and remembered I have video already that gives a glimpse of what is in there on one of my Youtube channels. The sound quality is poor but it was my first one, I got it figured out for future tutorials. It is ocPortal specific but the cpanel part of it is exactly the same for any software you use.

Last edited:

BrianHay

lol It looks kinda complicated but 3/4 of the battle is just figuring out where a problem is and how to fix it. That is done so whoever does the admin/theming end of things should be able to just go straight to the file and edit it in five minutes :)

BrianHay

lol I guess I should have made that clear. Profiles have been messed up for a long time and it is to do with the theme. Figured I would try to help out with a fix for it.

Hopefully the next update goes well....this forum is using an old version, it is two updates behind.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Thanks for your input Brian, our tech is looking at these issues as time permits. I don't necessarily feel the need to update the program every time they come available, which is quite frequently, that would be like trading in a new car simply because the newer version has another option or two. As you pointed out, each upgrade comes with its own quirks, the upgrade to Version 4 was the most difficult yet.

Each of us here at HEF has the same life's obligations as most of you and administer the Board in our spare time. Sometimes that doesn't allow for improvements to occur as quickly as we'd like.

BrianHay

I know yo guys are busy with real life outside the forum, that is why I offered up some time saving help for you.

The last upgrade was a major version upgrade which is for sure a big task from version 3 to version 4.

The numbers in a version represent different things. This site is using version 4.1.2. The 4 represents the major version number , the 1 represents feature release and the 2 represents patch release. The latest is 4.1.4 so it is just patch releases it is behind on.

Patch releases are very minor and only take minutes to do but can actually be quite important because they are often security patches.

Keeping up with the latest release is not like buying a new car for each version. It is like putting new brakes on your new car when they wear out so it stays safe.

Not being critical, just making you aware. Many hours were spent putting the site back together....it is still being put back together from the last time it was hacked many months. A few minutes spent on the patches to help prevent that happening again is time well spent. Not to mention the farther you fall behind the harder it is to upgrade when do.

BrianHay

This Google search will outline better how serious staying up to date on new versions is.

Almost right after this version was released it was exploited, and then a patch released to fix that exploit. There is more than one security hole in it and being that it has already been taken down once I am almost surprised it has not again yet. I am sure it is marked as an easy target.

It actually may have already been hacked and we just don't know it. One of the things possible with it is just a simple search redirection. Have the stats recently dropped? Visitors may be getting redirected elsewhere and you wouldn't know it unless you had a look at your stats and seen a big drop in traffic from the searches.

nickbowers

I don't necessarily feel the need to update the program every time they come available, which is quite frequently, that would be like trading in a new car simply because the newer version has another option or two.

It is the most important part of running the site, exploits for vbulletin are found most days, they release an update pretty quick to get it fixed.
Im happy to help out where i can.