1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Solenoid valve modification for ease of replacement

Discussion in 'Compact Excavators' started by RPF207, May 11, 2022.

1. RPF207

RPF207 Active Member

Lineman
    2000 hitachi EX35U. Bought two years ago, been pretty much restoring it and getting everything back up to par. Current project, getting the two speed travel to work. After investigating I determined the coil for the solenoid valve that engaged high speed travel was bad. Dealership doesn’t sell just a coil, you need to pay $550 for the whole valve block and the coil comes with it. I own the parts book for this machine and confirmed what they said.

I searched high and low for a coil like the one I pulled off, couldn’t find one just like it. Schooled myself on coils, found coils very similar, but learned they really on make coils with certain size through bores. The “Rod” the coil slides over on my machine was 9/16”, closest bore size available in coils was 1/2” or 5/8”.

so I ordered a 5/8” bore coil for $20US and had my machinist make me an adapter to take up the slack, actually had him make me two adapters for $80 in case the pilot control valve coil ever goes bad. The new coil operates the pusher in the rod just fine outside the machine, hopefully I’ll get to put it on the machine tomorrow.

first is new coil with adapter, second is old coil

also, do these go bad often? My machinist mentioned I might have a good product on my hands that could save people $450 or more. I told him I really wasn’t sure how many Deere and hitachi machines use this same solenoid set up and how often these need to be replaced

Attached Files:

2. TIredoldparts

TIredoldparts Active Member

don't think they go bad very often. good to know though.