• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

So...what is the concensus? The best diesel engine ever made?

grandkobelco

Occupation
chainsaw, small engine mechanic
Ruffle all the feathers you want oldtimer, for horspower per weight it's gotta be the 3406 cat. For the ability to run in the worst conditions, with every compression ring broke,it's got to be the 71 seires detriot it,s still willing to run. I cant think of to many aplications a detriot diesle wasn't found.

cat d9

Occupation
manager and general FO in general
I don't think anyone else can compare to the number of engines built and the longevity of production of the inline 6-71 screemer, they were in constant production from 1939 to 1999, can't seem to nail down the production numbers but it has to be a bunch. They seem to run a long time, simple design, and sound good too. I have owned 100s of engines and none compare to the 6-71.

chevota84

I have to say the 3406e cat ( not the c-15) they will make awesome amounts of power in stockish form and can be a million mile motor pretty easily. Im a big fan of the 3406b and they can last a long time but need bearings fairly regularly (I do mine at 250k).

nextdoor

Occupation
Farming and playing in the dirt
Toyota 4 litre turbo EFI cruiser motor is one of mine but a perkins 354 cos you cant kill em! Another would be a 3406E seem to keep going with great power. Worst well I would have to say any Nissan Navara before the latest one. Also to all those who say GM has the best sound, I beg to differ, the gold medal has to go to a 903 Cummins.

Aussie Leroy

Well; The Cat 3406 for pull, Cummins 903 for sound, GM'S 53/71 series for no power and the best terrorist sound ever, Perkins cheap to run and reliable, V8 Duetz went for ever with no water,

Cats= Can push and pull
Cummins= Can only pull

tctractors

The 3406 B's was fitted into Foden Trucks in the U.K. the promotion trucks being painted black with the title "Black CAT", they were quickly taken up by the heavy haulage boys and were common to see hooked up to low-load trailers, the 450HP motor was the One to Have, but they did suffer a bit with water pump aggro, CAT fitted a plastic impellor on the pumps that would get loose on the shaft as soon as a good bank (hill) was climbed, the fitting of an iron job sorted this out but it took a bit of time to realize what was going wrong, most truck engines were fitted with the Jacobs Brake, but I also had a customer with the Blue Ox? retarder,I loved these motors but the Scania V8's would have them for dead on any bank as the complete drive line was all Scania built, the D8N had the 3406 in, I dont think it was the best use of the engine???

MTI Mark

Well, from a mining equipment standpoint, here are my personal opinions on specific engines used in one particualr mine, in no particular order:
-All of the older equipment ran air cooled Deutz, from 4 cylinr up to v12s. I have to say they are one tough engine, and will take a lot of abuse. BUT... they fall short in local support and parts pricing, very expensive to repair.
-Cat 3406 (Ithink), very reliable, dont remember ever having to get support or replace anything on the engine. Downfall to these particular engine for underground use was emmissions, but then again, we are talking older generation engines.
-Detroit 50 series- Quite reliable, inexpensive to repair, excellent support, but I do remember some problems with them. I wouldnt call them bulletproof, although they were pretty good overall.
-Deutz liquid cooled B4fl series- engine itself seemed ok, but had ECM issues, no local support, parts or labor- would not use if I could avoid it.
-Cummins QSB series-(note that they are all 2005 and later engines)- very reliable, I do not recall any issues that were not self inflicted by the miners (hydraulic oil in the fuel tank). Local support is great for service and parts. I would not hesitate to use Cummins.

I worked for NY state for a short while, all of their large truck engines were Cummins until recently when they started buying Mack Trucks. The Cummins engine were pretty trouble free there also. I dont have much good to say about Mack in general, but I had not seen any major problems with them either unless you count the 3 year old engine with a rust hole through the engine block.

keep in mind, this is personal observation, from my own experience. My opinion to answer your question, would be Cummins.

Abscraperguy

I don't want to ruffle feathers....but..

I HATE 2-stroke Detroits. Gutless loud pigs. Sure, they run forever and a few days besides, but how I hate them..

Any opinion on a late 80s 6068 Deere?

Don't worry about feathers. They'll grow back. Don't drive them Detroits like Cats. Detroits and Stihl chain saws only have power with the throttle BURIED. As far as the 6068's don't know too much about them but the JD 466's in the 8820 combines had to have some mods so they wouldn't start so easy in cold weather.

4-71 jimmy.
tough as hell, and when they puke, cheap n easy to fix.

My Dad runs a repair shop and he loves rebuilding them Jimmies. He says the tolerances on a rebuilt Detroit are much like a worn out Cummins.

My own favs would probably the old Deere two cylinder.

I also liked the QSX Cummins but they were very hard on fuel and had little lugging power.

Haddy

Occupation
earthmoving contractor
Most straight 6 diesels run pretty smooth , and I have found them reliable .

Most V whatever have been not so good except for 2 stroke detroit . I was told when I started driving detroits you " drive them like you hate them " and I must admit I do like the sound of them

smokey1

Occupation
Builder/Owner
I was realy impressed with the Iveco engines I had one 4cy turbo go over 700,000 miles without the head comming off. I had a few 6cy that went over 500k miles Most trucks were delivery trucks The ford DEALERS took care of parts up until about 1990, I sold a one to Hatti afew years back and it's still running. The engines were built by fiat. They failed to pass emissions arround 1990 so that stopped the importing of the trucks.