• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

So, if you had to get rid of this crane...

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
...what would you do?

This isn't mine, but I've been asked for advice on what to do with it. They'd talked trade with a dealer on something else they bought, but there wasn't much interest, and there wasn't much money offered. Since then, it's been shopped around a little bit more, and nobody has shown any interest either.

It's come to the point where they really just want it gone.

It still works, but it's not the kind of piece you'd want OSHA looking too closely at if it were on your site, or the EPA for that matter, since it has a number of buckets hanging in strategic places to keep the oil spillage under control.

Anybody have any good ideas? I'll withhold the couple of suggestions I made, just so as to not discourage anybody else form making a suggestion.

It's located in the city of Pittsburgh PA, if that makes any difference.

Attachments

• 7-27-04downloaded 123 resized.jpg
    7-27-04downloaded 123 resized.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,170

yvettessherpa

They could bite the bullet and put some money into it. That way when they sale it they could get more for it. Then there is always the boneyard....

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
They could bite the bullet and put some money into it. That way when they sale it they could get more for it. Then there is always the boneyard....

They put waaay too much into it already. See the black paint on the boom cylinders and base of the boom? BIG bucks there, about 6-7 years ago.
Africa.......

One of the thoughts I had. I don't think it's a viable piece for use in the developed world, but the in third world, who knows? Transportation might be too much to make that work though.

what do they need to have for it...

I just got off the phone with the closest scrap yard. Offer something more than scrap value and it could be yours.

hammerdwn20

Occupation
pipeline
find someone who sends it overseas. our old backhoe went over there with a bad shuttle

hammerdwn20

Occupation
pipeline
either heard from them through trico or multimachine in nj. i know the place where the backhoe went was in kearny Nj on the same road as the Weldon concrete plant. His name was Bing. thats all the information i can remember

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Do ya'll really just dump your old equipment on the third world? Not judging just asking.

I don't think it's any secret that a lot of older equipment finds it's way into use in the third world. We could have a discussion of that in another thread if anybody thinks it's a worthwhile topic. If it were sold at auction, there'd be no control over where it ended up, and if the third world is buying used up junk, is that really "dumping" it there?

Which brings up selling it at auction--Anybody have any opinions on selling it on IronPlant, or something similar? Again, I'll withold my own thoughts and see if anybody else says what I'm thinking....

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Ironplanet would work for me. Grove builds a decent unit, the name will go a long way.

My local crane guy runs nothing but tired old rebuilt cranes. He has made a pile of money, raised a bunch of kids, employes hundreds of people and literally owns half my town.

So that crane will have some value to someone.

markshr151

I know of a Christian ministry that could put it to good use.They are competent with heavy equipment and could give a tax receipt. It would be used to build buildings and move conx boxes. Remember Haiti lost 300,000 to earthquake maybe same to cholera.

yvettessherpa

See I wasn't thinking of it being sold a auction. It just sounded like it was be sent over there to get rid of it. The out of site out of mind thinking. If it is sold at auction then whoever buys it has to maintain it...

shopteacher 1

I know that the ships that bring bananas into the port or Wilmington, De, take a variety of goods, including cars, trucks and machinery back to South America.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
It depends on what is wrong with it and, most importantly, how much $ it will cost to fix. If repair costs are not prohibitive, someone who needs a rough terrain crane will buy it. I recently saw a Grove RT that old setting steel-so there are contractors still using them to make money.

Last edited:

WV earth mover

sounds like something a concrete precaster might use as a yard machine there are a couple in my area that use groves now ,might be worth more for parts than scrap i'm within 150 miles of it so i'll check with em

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
They've had some people, like the outfit that services it, and the dealer they talked trade with, supposedly looking for buyers for it, and supposedly nobody's been interested. I do wonder how much effort they put into it though. I have a hard time believing there's nobody out there that could use it, even if only for parts.

Looking at Iron Planet's auction results, it seems like there might be a market for it at a price better than the scrap man is offering. It sure seems like they've managed to sell some pieces that are in worse shape.

Several people I've talked to have suggested the donation/tax write off option. As slow as homebuilding has been, I'm not sure they need a tax write off as much as they need the cash. (And it's really not my place to ask.) I will suggest that to them though.

I appreciate everybody's input so far, and if anybody thinks they might be interested, or know somebody that might be, don't be shy. Shoot me a PM.