• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

So, I got some air tools at an estate auction...

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I was high bidder on a lot of air tools at an estate auction. Besides a 1/2" impact, and a couple of 3/8 air ratchets, there are some I'm less familiar with.

First pic is of three die grinders. Top two are Chicago Pneumatic, and the other is an Ingersol rand. I should've been smart enough to include a ruler in the pics to give some indication of their size, but, I wasn't. The longest of the three is about 15" from end to end.

Second pic is a Cleco angle grinder.

Third pic is two IR vertical grinders and one other, of unknown pedigree.

SUNP0065.JPG SUNP0068.JPG

SUNP0069.JPG

I'm sure they're all relatively old, but when I put air to them, they all seem to operate normally. I tried searching by identifying numbers on them, but couldn't really find anything that would tell me where they fall on the spectrum between El Cheapo stuff and top-of-the-line stuff. My sense is they're not junk. Anybody care to offer an opinion of what they're worth?

(If it would help, I can post whatever numbers I can make out on them.)

A couple more posts follow...

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Next, a little CP "Boyer Superior Chipper Baby".
It says "Std 11/16 chisel type".

My question is, does the chisel just pop in there, or is there something missing that holds it in? Am I correct in assuming the chisels are still readily available?
SUNP0066.JPG SUNP0067.JPG

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Last, for now, a CP Model A "Powervane" drill. I did turn up one on Ebay that looks similar, but it has a chuck, like a regular drill. I'm not sure what attaches to this one, or how.

Thanks in advance for any insights. SUNP0064.JPG
SUNP0061.JPG

Delmer

The drill is probably a morse A? taper like some drill presses or lathes, the slot is for a wedge to loosen the drill bit. The chisels are available, just have to figure out what fits, 11/16 hex? round? They'll have different lengths for the retainer, but I've never seen what style retainer those had, if any, so the retainer just has to be far enough from the end not to matter. AFAIK you use your left hand to hold the bit.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
The chipper baby looks like a few I have seen used as scalers with a needle scaler setup or I've also seen them used with rock drill bits similar to what the used to hand drill back in the day. I use one slightly larger than that as an overgrown air hammer!

The two longer ones in the first post are often used with a stone of some sort in grinding operations. I've got some myself that came from a gentleman that passed away. He assembled/maintained underground mining equipment which I'm sure required a fair amount of beating, welding and cleaning.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager

DIYDAVE

Chipper chisels might go in like a hyd hose does, slide collar fwd, away from the trigger, releases some balls, chisel goes in, release collar, and balls hold chisel in place. Might also work, by pushing collar in, instead...

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I've used one similar to the one Willie pictured, which is why I was given to wonder if something is missing. You can just see in the picture that there is a flat spot on both sides, up near the end, but there are no obvious moving parts there, and no apparent place to receive a retainer. I'll take a closer look. The barrel appears to be round, not hex.

I didn't post them, but there were a couple of needle scalers in the lot as well. Never used one of those, but I'm looking forward to it.

The drill; Morse A makes some sense. I'd never heard of that, but saw some bits while I was searching, and I could see how that would fit.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
If you determine which Morse taper it is I have a bunch of bits. All of the #3 and smaller are now residents of Herman, MO at Mr Miller's place. If it's bigger than #3 let me know and I'll see what I've got. I bought about 750 pounds of bits awhile back for the reams and taps that were in there. I've got some spade setups to 5" with cooling attachments too lol.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
If you determine which Morse taper it is...

At dinner time today I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Morse taper bit, and now you think I'm smart enough to figure out what size one is? You must think I'm a lot smarter than I think I am. :)

Actually, I looked at CP's website, and found that a place I've used in the past for hydraulic work is an authorized service center. It may be a few weeks, but if I get a chance to get by there, I may take a few of these pieces there and see what they can tell me. Hopefully, if there are parts missing they'll be able to get them too, or tell me whether they're worth it.

In the meantime, all additional wisdom from the encyclopedia that is the collective mind of HEF will be appreciated...

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I didn't post them, but there were a couple of needle scalers in the lot as well. Never used one of those, but I'm looking forward to it.

Needle scaler works great for removal of arc welding slag as well as removal of heavy rust scale to prep for painting. I've also used them to clean the teeth retainer pin holes on Cat side pin type teeth. Even used them to remove the mill slag from new steel plate, it's a fairly handy tool.

Delmer

http://www.airtekltd.com/ajax_12.htm

This site shows how the retainer works. The tip portion unscrews (put the flats on the body in a vice) and the bit goes in, then the tip screws back in place. Maybe a few other little pieces in there. The .680 bits seem pretty standard so maybe the retainers only vary on other styles. I've cleaned tons of concrete and never realized there was a bit that fit right.

Price depends on how many bidders there are:D

Cmark

They look like well used foundry fettling tools. Probably good for many more years use but will need a big old compressor to run them.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
IMG_9458.PNG

Here's a Morse taper chart. It'll help determine IF it's Morse and also which one. There are other similar drive styles that seem unusual to people outside of the machine shop world.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Morse taper is the way to go for the big stuff. They work! I've never held a seven. A five with a 3-1/2" drill in it is a beast.