• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

So anyone see or use these tires from Firestone with claimed 300% more wear?

barklee

I actually saw these on a new JLG at a rental yard today. They look like pretty hefty tires. Anyone find a price on these?

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
With a 300% better wear rate I would guess they are a good bit more to buy. Same tire size just different load ratings on what is listed. All I could find is request a quote online for pricing.

Last edited:

icestationzebra

This kind of tire has been rumored for years, seems that it is finally here. A lower profile tire with stiff sidewalls will allow for slightly higher capacities on the load charts, especially above ~45° boom angle. One of the limiting factors for telehandlers has been the tires, as they were and continue to be designed for road graders. Originally companies got around the flexible sidewall tires by using liquid ballast. The situation got worse in the 90's as rental companies put pressure on the OEM's to stop using liquid ballast due to high repair costs. This forced the use of more steel weights to make up the difference, which usually can't be put in the ideal locations, which necessitates even more weight - and as you can guess the GVWs went up. Now if other tire companies like Galaxy follow suit the prices shouldn't go up much. And hopefully they prevent a couple tip overs.

ISZ

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
I have had good luck with recapping and then filling the tire as solid. I don't know if this is an option in your size. I run Terex and a JCB 520 with very little wear on these RT lifts. Doug

aerolift

Tires

We run a fleet of 40+ SkyTraks. Tires and parts are a constant issue. We are very active investigating cost saving measures. We use and sell many used parts. While researching the new Firestone tires it was revealed that the existing rims will not accomodate them. This is a major negative and would create a whole new challenge keeping track of which machine had what tires and rims. Until they design them for the existing rims the tires have limited appeal to fleet owners.

alanmurfee

Occupation
Blogger
I bought my tires exactly a year ago. The rubber has cracked along sidewalls and some spots have cracked and pieces of rubber fell off. I have never had this happen to my tires within a year. Will not buy these tires again.