• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Snow plow

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
I'm in the process of moving my snow plow from my old 1845c to my S650.
I repacked the angle cylinder with new seals.
Hooked up my new hoses, fittings and connectors.
Then was ready to give it a test.

Well it worked, but lets just say the plow is WAY over enthusiastic on the new machine.
The first time I tried to angle it, it went hard right and decapitated my work stool. Lol.
Probably should have moved that out of the way, but it didn't expect it to move so fast.
The joystick controls are way more sensitive than my old foot controls
So I'm probably going to have to slow it down a bit to make it usable.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The 1845C made about 15.9 GPM I think at the aux. The BC likely is in the low 20's somewhere. The 1845C was around 2500 psi at the aux. and the BC is at least 3K maybe just over. So your throwing more flow and more pressure at the attachment that was not likely set up for the flows and psi of a modern SSL.

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
Yeah, bc is 23gpm @ 3500psi. I think another factor is the controls. The pedals on the 1845c were wide, maybe 14 in, so they are easy to feather small movements.
The thumb button on the bc is about 1/2 high, so it's way more sensitive to inputs. Fine movements definitely not possible if you are bouncing around at all.

Spend the rest of the day making a hose holder for under the front step. Turn out very fine if I do say so myself.
20181125_154015.jpg20181125_160420.jpg 20181125_160541.jpg

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
Yeah, I saw those. Just wasn't sure what kind of speed 9gpm would give me. I'm also assuming that is at 3000psi. It might be a little more at 3500psi.
I've also seen some setups that used fixed orifice restrictors. Again, not sure what size orifice would work well.
Also looked at some crossover valves. They might be a good idea for protection and as a benefit, they'd also drop the pressure too.
I also figured I need to put restrictors on both sides of the circuit.

With the 1845c it was just a direct connect. This new setup is going to need a bit more tinkering.
But at least the plow is less likely to fall off during plowing.

InsleyGuy

When I set up several bobcat 825's in the mid 80's with western plows we had the same problem..blades slamming back and forth. I ended up taking a double end male line coupler and filled it with solder. Drilled a 1/8 hole through, installed on one line to cylinder. Problem solved. Adjust hole size to suit.

Reactions: DB2

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
When I set up several bobcat 825's in the mid 80's with western plows we had the same problem..blades slamming back and forth. I ended up taking a double end male line coupler and filled it with solder. Drilled a 1/8 hole through, installed on one line to cylinder. Problem solved. Adjust hole size to suit.

I was looking into that, but it turns out that really isn't a good solution. It puts a lot of stress on the plow pivot point. And that is an already known weakness in the western unimount plows. I've already had to rebuild the pivot point once. Turns out using 2 restrictors, 1 in each hose, isn't any better.

Probably going to add a pair of one way flow restrictor valves. They won't keep pressure on the return side, but will limit the flow on the extension side. Or go to a double acting cylinder with a greater volume.

InsleyGuy

I've been out that stuff for a long time, don't know anything about the unimounts. Our guys would roll the lift arm forward to push down on the A frame then drive on the rear wheels and cutting edge. NOT cool.

zlssefi

I put an 8 foot fisher on my s185 std flow machine and had the same issues. I put a small restrictor disc in each hydraulic line and it cut the speed in half. Still have to feather the controls but its much more user friendly.

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
I've been out that stuff for a long time, don't know anything about the unimounts. Our guys would roll the lift arm forward to push down on the A frame then drive on the rear wheels and cutting edge. NOT cool.

Yeah, that's not cool. I've got a dirt driveway, so I really don't want any down pressure on the plow. I've be using an 18" strap to lift the plow. Works awesome and takes the shock out of the plow bouncing around.

I've really decided against restrictors at this point. They cause pressure in both cylinders at the same time and that stresses the pivot of the plow. Here's pics of the pivot on my plow the first time it went. Unimounts have weak pivots. Unfortunately that cause the cylinder to overs extend and crush the cylinder rod retaining clips. Sending a lot of metal fragments into the hydraulic system. Looks like cup full of silver nerds.
IMAG0560.jpg IMAG0567.jpg 20150102_164810.jpg