• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

snakes on a baler!!!!!!

zack-cat

Occupation
Ag mechanic
All righty... now that i have changed my drawers, what is a good way to run snakes out of the machine you are working on?! i'm working on a large square baler and went to look in at something and there was a foot long copperhead right under my nose. after i jumped and hollered stomped around trying to figure out if i had been bit, had a heart attack or what, i calmed down, got a dip to calm the nerves and got a better vantage point and of course it was gone. i blew all over the machine with an air blower and sprayed ether and still cant get it to show it head again. now i get to go the rest of the day with the hebe-jebe's and that feeling theres a snake on you lol.

What do yall do when yall get ready to work on something and know theres a good chance there is a snake in it? HEEEELLLLP!!!!

Old Doug

From what i have seen once there they are hard to run off. I was at a junk yard removeing a steering colum and one came out from under the dash i jumped out and it went throw a hole in the floor . I thought hes gone so i went back to work . I heard some thing he came back so i left for good. I haul scrap iron and last summer i killed 2 ratlers and 2 copperheads at this one place i have to go back this summer.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
Dynamite or nuclear bomb is best but I would simply steer clear. Copperheads lay claim to an area and will defend it to the death. Yours or theirs....The little ones are the worst an most cunning .....We have both rattlers and cooper heads here and the Copperhead is far more feared.make sure your medical plan premium is up to date on the payments. Also if your a righty , use your left hand to poke around for the snake . And remember that there are 5 more you have not seen yet along with the one you did... Good luck ! :D:D

Last edited:

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I got it. burn it flat and then restore it. no more snakes and job security. no need to thank me, I'm here to help.

FSERVICE

I got it. burn it flat and then restore it. no more snakes and job security. no need to thank me, I'm here to help.

im with you on this, cover in diesel fuel light it have sprayer full of fuel when they start coming out from the heat douse with fuel then set on fire.. to b sure they are dead disconnect head from body with a shovel or hoe;) be very careful if theres 1 in there more than likely there is 2, just my experience. if you see 1 it has a friend that's not far away!!

Randy88

Get a pet weasel or ferret, send it in first to look over the machine and if no action happens its clear to work on it, if it comes back in a scurry, get out fast, there's not much they are scared of or will back down from maybe grizzlies or mountain lions is about all and it wouldn't be from not trying first.

I knew a guy who had a ferret for years, its what he used it for, sending it into a machine first to look over the situation as he had a cup of coffee, how he ever got it to do what he needed it to, and return to him was a mystery to me, they are a natural killing machine that's for sure, and it was never friendly to anyone but him, gosh I hated that thing with a passion.

But beware, anything in the weasel family has some nasty attributes as a pet, they are definitely not a pet for the masses that's for sure.