1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

smoking Kubota diesel question

Discussion in 'Forklifts/Telehandlers' started by Stevenbrla, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Stevenbrla

Stevenbrla Well-Known Member

I have a Donkey forklift with a little Kubota diesel. The new models use D1105, not sure what mine is (I'm at home right now, and forklift isn't.)

About 2 weeks ago I noticed that it seemed to be smoking... not white smoke, just normal diesel exhaust, but more than normal, while operating.

The smoke is coming from a tube next to the exhaust pipe... the tube comes from the top of the engine. The engine is about 13 years old, hour meter shows 1300 hours, but have no idea if that is accurate.

Any idea what this is, what might be the problem?:confused:

I can get model numbers and pics if that helps.

Thanks!!

2. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    Would that be the crankcase ventilation tube coming from top of valve cover?

3. Stevenbrla

That sounds right to me, Willie. So what's that mean... why's it smoking more all of a sudden?

4. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    All of a sudden, good question. Excessive crankcase pressure, smoke from vent tube, typically is caused by combustion pressure leakage at piston rings. It can also happen if there is excessive wear of exhaust valve guides, but that rarely is a "sudden" thing. Sudden would be more related to a failure of compression ring of at least one piston, only a compression test of warmed up engine would verify this. But consider the engine is 13 yrs old. If it starts good cold, doesn't have a noticeable miss to it, doesn't consume an excessive amount of engine oil, I wouldn't put a lot of worry in it. An aged engine is going to produce smoke from crankcase vent tube.

5. Stevenbrla

It starts pretty well, and not using excessive oil.... I'll put my worries elsewhere for now... Thanks Willie!