• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Slope requirements?

td25c

I thought about it the other day after viewing your pictures of the your friends job.Looks like it could be tough getting concrete up behind the home.I was calling the baskets in the pics I posted "Gabions" but they are another brand ,very similiar.I'l remember the name after I log off tonight.They measure 3'x3'x12' having 4 seperate compartments in each basket.You can get them in different sizes & shapes but that is the most common one that I use.I remember they cost around $125 a piece not counting labor or riprap.As far as size of riprap ,I call it number 1.nothing bigger then say 8"x8".I usually just call the stone quarry and tell the dispatcher we are filling baskets ,dont bring me pumpkin size riprap.Here is a link thebig450es to the gabion website I am sure they have a supplyer near you. www.gabionbaskets.net

thebig450es

Ive used vera-loc block for walls before, the wall at home i used 42 pallets. The price would be alittle too much for this job lol. I'll look into the mini jumbo block, i also like the wire baskets.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
The thing with wire baskets is, wire rusts... then you get rocks and clay raining down the mountain.

I like the idea of mafia blocks, and if I didnt have the money to fix it right, i'd fix it by selling the house.

Oh, and consult a lawyer before you move anything. I'll bet that the homeowner will have little say once the insurance company gets involved. And because you own and operate earthmoving equipment, that makes you a pro bro...

If he didn't have the money for the correct procedure and the engineer, I wouldn't touch it.

Last edited:

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
The thing with wire baskets is, wire rusts... then you get rocks and clay raining down the mountain.

I like the idea of mafia blocks, and if I didnt have the money to fix it right, i'd fix it by selling the house.

Oh, and consult a lawyer before you move anything. I'll bet that the homeowner will have little say once the insurance company gets involved. And because you own and operate earthmoving equipment, that makes you a pro bro...

If he didn't have the money for the correct procedure and the engineer, I wouldn't touch it.

Selling the house with out an engineers report will affect the value seriously,forget the wig get a bonded engineer let him have the grief...

Acivil

Does the homeowner have Homeowner's Insurance? If so... it should cover the cost of repairing something like this without the homeowner coming out of pocket for anything. If rust is a concern, there are a number of gabion systems available that spec epoxy coated wire, both for corrosion protection, and asthetics. MacAferri also offers a basked made out of geogrid.

thebig450es

Well, the homeower has been saving up for this, i told him homeowners is the way to go on this project. In my figures it looks like ill be moving about 120 cubic yards of material to get it to a 45 degree grade.

ontrac

Not into doing this type work, but might try looking into spray foam used in trenchs to stop water flow, I think they have different types that are 10000psi thats better than concrete and it is easy to do, cut a trench the use the spray foam. Oil transfer lines use this method.

sprknranger

I wouldn't touch it without having an geo tech engineer look at it. I'm not too familiar with brick and mortar retaining walls but the material alone would cost a lot I would imagine. I personally would do a backcut and then do a butress fill with a gravel subdrain every 10-15 ft in elevation to rid off any seepage at the contact line. Not sure if that is a common practice in your neck of the woods but I have done many butress slopes here in Cali and have never seen one fail.