• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Slightly bent Hino

Hendrik

Good point, I forget about all you Australians being on here. :drinkup
Yeah we don't like badly modified vehicles causing deaths.
I won't bore you would our rules pertaining to vehicle modifications but lets just say if it deviates from the manufacturers design it has to be approved. We have big stickers on truck rails that state "no welding on drilling" and everyone in the industry knows not to mess with the chassis.
It is a sensible thing born out of accidents involving badly repaired trucks falling apart.
You can pretty much do what you like as long as an certified engineer gives you a piece of paper to say it meets Australian design rules. You might wanna google ADR's and spend 2 weeks reading em and another 6 years trying to understand them.

oversize

Occupation
low loader driver
I won't bore you would our rules pertaining to vehicle modifications but lets just say if it deviates from the manufacturers design it has to be approved. We have big stickers on truck rails that state "no welding on drilling" and everyone in the industry knows not to mess with the chassis.
It is a sensible thing born out of accidents involving badly repaired trucks falling apart.
You can pretty much do what you like as long as an certified engineer gives you a piece of paper to say it meets Australian design rules. You might wanna google ADR's and spend 2 weeks reading em and another 6 years trying to understand them.

And then find the way you understand them is different to the engineer then find the DOT man has never unstod them but he know what it means and you and the engineer are wrong

Truckie

I have always been told and have red and understood you can wield on the face of the frame not the flange of the frame. I have done so several times my self and have had no problems with the frame or DOT inspections.
Just my 2 cents.

Hendrik

I have always been told and have red and understood you can wield on the face of the frame not the flange of the frame. I have done so several times my self and have had no problems with the frame or DOT inspections.
Just my 2 cents.
My understanding is that truck chassis rails are made of a high tensile steel that has some flex in it, welding it causes it to be not so flexible and thus crack and then break. Same with drilling holes in it, drill a hole in the wrong spot and BANG you have a problem.

Cretebaby

Just my 2 cents.

Thats how we do it. Weld or drill the face but not the flange.

That would be a real productivity killer to have to get engineers approval for every pump frame or trailer hitch install.

Hendrik

That would be a real productivity killer to have to get engineers approval for every pump frame or trailer hitch install.
Safety before productivity.
Most big trailer manufacturers have accreditation to sign off on a job.
The smaller ones get an engineer to come around and inspect the work before the paint goes on.
Better that than have a truck come apart due to some backyarder thinking he/she knows how to do the job.

Cretebaby

Safety before productivity.
Most big trailer manufacturers have accreditation to sign off on a job.
The smaller ones get an engineer to come around and inspect the work before the paint goes on.
Better that than have a truck come apart due to some backyarder thinking he/she knows how to do the job.

What ever makes you feel all warm, fuzzy and safe.

Sorry if it does nothing for me. I have seen some of the crap that an engineer can turn out.

IMO to have to have a engineer sign off for me to drill a hole in my frame is just another level of regulation in an all ready over regulated industry.

Dualie

Its not even worth the fix. those old cabover hino's are fairly rare and parts are made out of GOLD! their nothing like the new hino conventional. I have heard brake parts exceeding the $1000 mark.

Even if you get the thing back strait as an arrow and operational its still going to be a hino cab over with horrible parts availability that hasn't lead an easy live and will require substantial repairs.

Frame splices are common here in the states. The DOT still has the authority to shut you down on the spot if they find a repair thats suspect or improperly done.

Hendrik

What ever makes you feel all warm, fuzzy and safe.

Sorry if it does nothing for me. I have seen some of the crap that an engineer can turn out.

IMO to have to have a engineer sign off for me to drill a hole in my frame is just another level of regulation in an all ready over regulated industry.
Well you do things your way and we do things our way.
You probably get away with it because your trucks go on nice smooth roads and are pulling little loads, when you have a 120 tonne road train going over a corrugated dirt road, things have to be right.
Perhaps when you have seen a fully loaded road train starting off you will understand the stress that is placed on the chassis rails.

Dualie

well i now know for a fact that Hendrik has never been to America. Smooth roads HAHAHAHAHA

Hendrik

well i now know for a fact that Hendrik has never been to America. Smooth roads HAHAHAHAHA
Well I am going on all those bikers riding hardtails:D
Worst bitumen road I have ever been on was the road between Mt Isa and the Northern Territory border, this was while I was riding an American two wheeled road tractor and I was doing 60k's trying not to fall into some of the meter wide potholes.

Dualie

Truth be told most of those hard tails belong to bar racers. They just race around from bar to bar within the city limits scarring old Lady's and making baby's cry.

Very few of them have the stones or the kidneys to run down the highway on them.

td25c

Well ,due to the long wheelbase & bed ,it looks like the hino bent the frame while trying to dump the load as it looks in the picture being bent at the bed hoist.It's not the trucks fault,It's who mounted the bed & hoist.The frame can be repaired.

oversize

Occupation
low loader driver
well i now know for a fact that Hendrik has never been to America. Smooth roads HOHENLOHE

Well i have, spent about 3 months in 2006 and again last year and most of that was in a truck and i can tell you most of your roads and a dream to drive, There are sections of main hi way here that are one lane undivided road linking state capitals together.

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
I would like to know more about this could you show the rule ?

if i knew where the citation was from the PaDOT I could show you...but i don't remember where we put it...hell after that ticket we might have burned it haha

OneWelder

Dirt Digger
What was the ticket for ? Poor quality, improper repair ? Did you weld a accessory or attachment that should have been bolted?
Are you people saying that all the trucks with pintle hook plates welded on the rear frame are illegal?- That would be a lot of tickets!
I asked that ? to see if there had been a rule change that I was unaware of - or over the a lot of years I have seen a lot of people Say that the DOT Requires this or that just to lend credence to their statement. - I saw a Driver claim that a truck was illegal to drive because of no air cond.Another claimed dot required power tarps , yet another said air gates were required
In yet another situation the owner of a construction co. bought an air tag for a newly acquired stretch trailer = the owner decided to have it mounted slightly closer than distance required for 20,000 lbs. increase -Well the TRUCK BOSS screamed and hollered and claimed the DOT would not recognize the axle ,we had to do it the way he said= After causing a lot more research ,delaying the project it was found to make 500 lbs difference ( could carry 19500) - To mount where truck boss wanted would have required A MAJOR rebuild
So over the years I have decided it makes more sense for the person saying the DOT says this or that to show me - after all they have have seen the rule and should be able to show it. - RIGHT

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
the truck was a 10-wheel dump and the crack was right behind the cab on the passenger side frame rail on the bottom of the frame (a bending crack)...the crack was welded but never ground down

to be honest the ticket was 3 or 4 years ago and I know the boss took it to court and got a few things lifted by the judge...the frame may have been one of them...but the fact that the inspector saw it and wrote it down is one inclination that they look for that type of stuff

OneWelder

DOT Required frame welds like you described to be ground smooth, no valleys or davits , then finished with 8o grit - followed by paint- in other words it should not show- that does not mean you can not do it
reason for requirement was to prevent a crack from recurring -weld under cut

OneWelder

I believe you will find the repair manuals from US Trk. man. include a frame section ( at least older ones do) These will tell you it is not recommend - then tell you exactly how to do it.
This would include those trks that have stickers on the frame
By the way Trk - trailer - even cars are designed to flex- early truck frames had great big "Fish plates" Riveted Or bolted to the frame - some being as thick as 1/2" hanging below the frame 8 " (that being the heaviest I have seen) This did not work well

OneWelder

I have been around a long time - I have see a lot of frame work from horrible to excellent, I have also seen broken frames- I have never seen any or heard of any families being killed or maimed- I guess I been somewhat sheltered.
The broken frames I have seen ,did so at low speed, and generally off road getting ready unload
Although I never have keep records to bear this out the most common broken frame I have seen would be R models under the clutch pedal- and when breaks you can hear it for 1 mile away BIG BANG!