• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Slew bearing milling!

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Found this video on the net and found it very interesting!

YouTube - York Rotary Milling Machine

I Would like to know some more about this service, i have never had to change a slew bearing on an excavator so i dont know what the fine points are, such as the damage that is being milled here!

I know there was pictures on here of a mining excavator getting the same treatment, but i have never heard off a smaller machine needing it!

Would really like to hear from anyone who knows more or has seen it done!

Thanks CPS

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Been in on a few in the 1970s and early 80s. You don't see it done much anymore unless there was an accident that caused damage.

I haven't seen a carbody have to be done for about twenty years. I got in on a Hitachi being hauled that hit a bridge. The bottom of the house was distorted about 0.250 front to back. The guy that planed it flush had designed a jig where he mounted a Bridgeport mill upside down to cut the bottom of the house. It made the York machine look like a tinker toy.

Anymore I'd just as soon hand those jobs over to someone else.

bill onthehill

That is a very common setup used in the shipbuilding industry. It is actually miniature compared to machining turbines and large gun turrets. I have done it on larger and smaller scales during my machinist years. All he is doing is a fly cut to true up the ring mounting area. Not that hard of a cut if it is not armor steel. Tanks are a lot tougher to machine.

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
Cool vid. I think this is the thread you were refering too.

I'll reply to your question when I get home from work tomorrow night. Way too tired to type an essay now!

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Yep thats the thread i was on about thanks Chris, looking forward to your reply!

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
You can either go to the Rothe Erde website (manufacturer of a wide variety of ball and roller bearing slewing rings, turntables as well as seamless rolled steel and non-ferrous metal rings) here and read all about it or you can read this...

Komatsu, Terex O&K, Hitachi and Liebherr all use Roth Erde slew bearings.

Here’s a brief summary from Komatsu’s P.O.V:-

The large Komatsu’s (KMG range) use what is known as a triple bearing slew ring (three-row bearing with axial-roller bearing) with an external gear or as Roth call them the Standard Series RD90. Like all bearings, it has an internal clearance between the roller’s and the race

The clearance on these bearings is particularly fine especially considering the size of the bearing (3.5 tonne for the old H185 and 16.3 tonne for a PC8000-6). In order to maintain the clearance constant and at its specification it is crucial that both the upper and lower mounting surfaces (carbody (as seen being machined your video and my photos) and superstructure) remain true, because if the internal clearance is reduced then the bearing WILL fail prematurely and in a very short period of time (and no warranty from the manufacturer).

Firstly, the mounting surface where the bearing will sit on the machine must be measured using a laser device. This is ascertain that the surface is true and has not been blemished in any way from, for example, welding beads, burrs and strong paint residues and other uneven surfaces caused by fretting etc. To prevent incorrect measurements caused by radiation from the sun projected onto the pedestal/carbody, it is recommended that the entire area is to be protected from direct sunlight.

Example: P = Maximum permissible deviation (deflection)
Inside diameter = 4000mm
Outside diameter = 3600mm

P = (4000 – 3600) ÷ 1000
P = 400mm ÷ 1000
P = 0.4mm

If the measured value exceeds the calculated value P, then the surface has to be remachined.

Once the machining is complete and all the surfaces are clean, the bearing can be sat down.

The next step is to determine the tightening torque of the mounting bolts (yes, you have to calculate it yourself) this is because each batch and each bolt has their own individual strength characteristic, and for such a crucial component which is exposed to load and torque stress it is imperative that you get it as accurate as possible. Each slew bearing is supplied with fastening bolts, measuring bolts, a measuring device and mounting compound. You are supplied with 8 measuring bolts (which are strictly for test only (marked with a z on the head)) to determine the torque, the eight bolts have to be mounted one by one to the measuring device. Then the bolt has to be tightened in steps to the prescribed elongation (for example PC8000-6 M36 x 295, 10.9 grade, and 55 mm width across flats at 0.71 ±0.020mm elongation). The needed tightening torque will be determined as a result of an average of eight tightening torques. When determining the tightening toques of the bolts, it is essential that the measurements are carried out in conditions (e.g. temperature) that are equal to those at the place of mounting.

To achieve the most accurate results, you should use a smaller Hytorc head as this allows the pressure of the Hytorc power pack to operate in its mid range. Slight deviations of the pressure have a lesser effect on the bolt elongation and torque. For example, 200 psi increment with a 10MXT head equates to 296 Nm whereas a 5MXT head equates to 149 Nm. This would allow a more precise bolt torque when using a 10,000psi gauge.

As an example, the last one I did averaged 1431.25 psi, 0.65mm elongation at 2277.38 Nm.

You then have to set the tooth and pinion backlash but that’s going off topic a bit.

In addition to ensuring these standards are met, constant condition monitoring of the bearing are crucial – for example, checking the slew ring bolts after 1000 hours of fitment of a new bearing, regular slew deflection inspections, grease sampling, tooth and bolt condition etc.

Hope this answers your question :)

John C.

Occupation
That's an interesting post.

I'm sure all that is the influence of Demag engineering into the process. It tells me the design of the machine is on the ragged edge of safety or the process is a fail safe mechanism for denying warranty coverage should there be a problem in a new bearing.

That machine had better be productive far beyond the cost of having to do all that extra work when a bearing fails. I'm sure it would have an impact on my purchase decision.

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
That's an interesting post.

I'm sure all that is the influence of Demag engineering into the process.

As can be seen here it's Rothe's quality assurance procedure to ensure the bearing won't fail. Failure in doing so will void warranty and rightly so.

For example, when you rebuild an engine you measure the main bearing clearence. You measure the main bearing journal of the crank and the diameter of the main bearing. Failure to measure the clearence will result in misassembly by getting too much or not enough crush because main and/or rod caps are too tight or loose.

Same applies to a slew bearing, just because it can weight up to 17 tonne doesn't mean it's plug and play, basics still apply.

It tells me the design of the machine is on the ragged edge of safety or the process is a fail safe mechanism for denying warranty coverage should there be a problem in a new bearing.

Not even going to go there, already covered the warranty previously.

That machine had better be productive far beyond the cost of having to do all that extra work when a bearing fails. I'm sure it would have an impact on my purchase decision.

May sound like alot but it's really not, especially if it doesn't require machining.

John C.

Occupation
I've changed more than a dozen slew bearings in Komatsu PC120 up to PC1000, Link-Belts up to 5800 and Cat 225 and 235 excavators and never had a manufacturer tell me I had to find out the proper torque because they couldn't maintain quality control on their bolts.

Putting an engine together is a little more complicated than bolting a flat bearing to a flange. You want a better analogy use bolting a bridge together. The stresses are near the same and just as continuous. The quality of the mounting hardware is the responsibility of the manufacturer and the torque is specified at that level. Not determined by the end user.

Setting backlash on the pinion gear is another odd little item. No manufacturer I know of has had to do that since Drott went out of business.

All this is just another example of either German over engineering or some legal staffs afternoon of work needing something else to do.

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
John we're not talking 12 tonne PC120's here, we're talking about 300-800 tonne excavators, but as usual your always right and this is why your an "equipment mechanic" and not the chief designer of said machines. So I'm not going to sit here an argue with you about quality control of bolts, correct procedures for fitment of slew bearings or bolting bridges together since you already know it all.

mooseye

My son is trying to demo a burned up 320. He wants to know which bolts to take out to remove the top carriage from the turntable or (carbody?) in the easiest manner. Please excuse my lack of knowledge for the correct terminologies.
I posted this here since as a new user, I am not yet allowed to start a new thread.
Thank you for any assistance.