• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skytrak loss of hydraulics

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You didn't post the machine s/n so we can't look up the configuration of your machine, but if your 6036 is one that does not have the torque convertor attached to the engine flywheel and instead is inside the transmission, and the engine and transmission has a drive shaft connecting the two, if that's the way your machine is set up, then with the engine shut down, if you put a pipe wrench on that drive shaft that connects engine to transmission, you should not be able to turn that drive shaft with the pipe wrench without turning the engine over. If you can turn that shaft and it does not rotate the engine then you have a busted flex coupler.

tractormech

I'm talking about the flex plate on the torque converter on the transmission end of the driveshaft. There's a big cast iron cover and the driveshaft is in the center of it. Behind that is the flex plate.this is according to my parts book

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm talking about the flex plate on the torque converter on the transmission end of the driveshaft. There's a big cast iron cover and the driveshaft is in the center of it. Behind that is the flex plate.this is according to my parts book

Yep, there's a diaphram plate that connects the drive shaft input to the torque convertor inside the transmission as well as a coupler plate that connects the drive shaft to the engine, if either of those failed you'd have no drive and no boom functions.

tractormech

Sounds like it's sheared at the torque converter then. you could pull the hydraulic pump to verify the shaft isn't turning but with no drive or hydraulics I don't think I'd go through all that. Go to the torque converter.

Dillon0608

Ok finally found the problem. The input shaft bearing went out and allowed the torque converter to move forward enough that the central shaft came out. The last 3/8 inch of the shaft splines rounded off.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yep, there's your problem. If things don't spin on the back side of the torque converter, operations cancelled.

Bobishop

Ok finally found the problem. The input shaft bearing went out and allowed the torque converter to move forward enough that the central shaft came out. The last 3/8 inch of the shaft splines rounded off.
WHAT ALL DID YOU HAVE TO DO TO FIX THIS PROBLEM?