• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

skytrak 6042 steer cylinder

pajibson

Never resealed one of these. Read the manual and have one big question. what are people using to get these apart? The ZF/JLG socket is almost 1k. Seems a bit steep for occasional use. Just use a hook spanner?

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
You could try using the large OTC hook spanner wrench or make socket oUT of a piece of pipe with key stock weld to the outside to fit all the notches of the nut .then weld a plate across the back of pipe to weld a large nut to turn with wrench .make it look just like the picture in the book .I have made many sockets lie this .

B0B

Occupation
Mechanic
Lots of times I use a pair of pipe wrenches. It aint pretty but it works.

jatspic05

You don't need to remove the nut. Just pull the rod out of the opposite side. There is a keeper ring that has to be removed, just remove the large snap ring from in front of the gland, then tap the gland in a little to remove the keeper ring. Tap the rod and gland out from the side that has the nut you are considering taking off. Then after rod is out you can install the wiper and internal seal with the barrel still attached to the axle. The only reason for pulling the barrel, if you can get it off, would be for honing purposes. I haven't seen any that need to be honed though!