• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skyjack 3219 Scissor Lift Locks Up: Won't Drive or Lift

jpmtnman

Help!! We have a Skyjack SJIII 3219 scissor lift (Shipped 08/06) that I need help with troubleshooting. After the lift sits overnight I go to drive or raise the platform and the lift will work fine for a couple minutes and then I start having problems. The brake may not release for reverse but it will for forward or it may not release for either forward or reverse and the platform usually won’t raise again. The pump motor makes a bogging sound like a valve is not opening. Any advice on what to try is greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Jeff

BillG

Check the batteries, sounds like low voltage. Check the battery connections and connect a voltmeter to measure system voltage. Should read better than 24 volts at rest, and should hold pretty close to that with fully charged batteries. If you get a large drop check each battery the same way until you find the culprit.

papabear8910

My 3219 will be driving and all of a sudden it will go to super slow motion like if the batteries were dead but I just had all four batteries replaced because the old ones stop holding a charge can some one help please

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
papabear8910
Take a look at your pump motor and main motor contactor .If you where running the unit with the bad batteries .You would cause high amps . Also if the bushes are hanging up in the motor
.It will give you issues.You can also have a cable breaking down under load .

Last edited:

gray21

As stated check your batteries and check voltage drop and load being given to the contactor solenoid. Check connections as well as the cables, i've had machines i've spent hours of tracing and overlooked a bad cable, check resistance or check to see if the cables are hard usually an indication that you've got some corrosion, i've found on some of these the pain power coming off the battery to the disconnect or down to the contactor having corrosion built up internally inside the cable. Good luck.

papabear8910

I check all the wire replaced some of them and it still won't goes really slow fowerd and backwards and it also goes up really slow if the joystick is pressed all the way foward or backwards is their something wrong with my control box

Dustin Hampton

Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
I recently had the same problem. The pump motor was not dying off at all, the batteries are new, it was fully charged. What I found was the joystick was intermittently failing. I would be travelling in full forward, and then suddenly it was like I was feathering in a slow travel position, but the joystick was still full forward. The new joystick solved the problem. of coarse, make sure those goofy skyjack plugs are clean and tight, and the harness is not compromised. They always get abuse at the plug.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
The controller may have a potentiometer on it and I may be going over center. Try pulling it back a little from full stoke and see if that works

Geoff Lott

hello again i have another skyjack that i lost all communication with all the controls. does anybody have any idea what can cause this?
First off I’ve been dealing with skyJack for a while now...they suck....remove platform connector and attach to the one under the machine if problem goes away take the connectors that aren’t connected apart and verify no wires haven’t pulled out...this happens with skyjack all the time...the wire you are looking for for these symptoms is usually in pin 10 (white with black tracer)...if problem doesn’t go away then take all four connectors apart and check...also verifying they aren’t heavily corroded as Skyjack’s love water

Geoff Lott

My 3219 will be driving and all of a sudden it will go to super slow motion like if the batteries were dead but I just had all four batteries replaced because the old ones stop holding a charge can some one help please
Here’s the top three things to check with these units....first off do yourself a favor and get a pair of pliers and a 11/32 wrench and loosen bolt and nuts on pothole switches and angle them as down as they will go...then tighten back....verify that when raising machine from ground level sensor goes to green..(will be red a green for a second)....then verify the plastic black cam by the ladder is tight and not loose or spinning....and if you are having slow lift function a good and quick place to check is that the emergency knob ( red anodized ) is in proper position...if it’s in position to emergency lower it will be extremely slow on lift

Geoff Lott

Help!! We have a Skyjack SJIII 3219 scissor lift (Shipped 08/06) that I need help with troubleshooting. After the lift sits overnight I go to drive or raise the platform and the lift will work fine for a couple minutes and then I start having problems. The brake may not release for reverse but it will for forward or it may not release for either forward or reverse and the platform usually won’t raise again. The pump motor makes a bogging sound like a valve is not opening. Any advice on what to try is greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Jeff
Look if you have replaced batteries...ignore all these guys saying check batteries....Skyjack’s are 98% a wiring issue NOT related to batteries or their cables....best thing to try like I stated before is plug platform box to bottom of machine...start there