• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skipping controls on Cat 12

efnfast

My new to me Cat 12E (SN 99e10296) The control levers skip? Feels like the gears won't stay engaged. Are the gears adjustable. Are the worn parts available and replaceable? - Steve

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Now you know why they were called knuckle busters. No adjustment that I know of. The old timers when I was younger said you could take the case apart, pull the dogs and reverse them so the unworn sides of the teeth were carrying the load now. I think it was a lot of work. Cat probably still sells parts for your unit.

efnfast

Now you know why they were called knuckle busters. No adjustment that I know of. The old timers when I was younger said you could take the case apart, pull the dogs and reverse them so the unworn sides of the teeth were carrying the load now. I think it was a lot of work. Cat probably still sells parts for your unit.
Thank you.

56wrench

In case you don’t know, the controls cannot be ‘feathered’. They are jammed forward all the way and yanked back all the way. They should only kick back at the end of the travel. The wheel lean will likely be the one that catches you unawares the most often. You can’t be gentle with the controls. Firm and fast. If the dog clutches are worn too much, they will chatter and kick no matter what and then its time to dismantle and repair

efnfast

Thank you.
I figured out that the controls need to be either in or out, aggresivley. I should be able to lift the front of the machine off the ground with the blade, correct? It gets no where near that when the controls skip. Also the front wheel lean.

56wrench

Don’t expect it to lift the front wheels off the ground unless the control box has been rebuilt with new dog clutches. As they get worn, you will not be able to put as much down pressure on the moldboard, however it will still work unless you need to make a cut on hard ground. Thats why i prefer to do my driveway after a rain when it is still slightly soft. If you need to make cuts in hard ground, then rebuild the control box

sled dog

If you look at old 12, or 12E control levers from the side, most often you will see the blade raise lower levers lean forward more than the other levers. That's from rearing back and slamming them forward to cut in hard ground. Have blowed the guts out of wrist watches with only the back and band left, and finished the day with swollen wrists that would no longer bend. All that being said, I wish I owned one...