• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skip loader vs 4wd tractor

Satch

Hi all,

I am currently considering a tractor. I was going to go with a 4wd john deere like a 5400 or so. I got looking at skip loaders though. I would be doing some heavy dirt work, so the heavier loader on a skip loader is attractive. A 4 in 1 bucket would also come in really handy for me. I would probably want a JD or a Case.
Do they have a pto? Are they practical to use as a farm tractor - eg plowing, etc.?
Any comments.
Thanks for any help you can give.

monkey

I would think they would be very impractical as a replacement for a tractor, for any good size agricultural needs. They are very versatile and can do just about anything with the correct attachment, couldn't imagine plowing many acres sitting in one though, that and most attachments go up front

quackattak

we have 4 case skip loaders, great for dirt work. The shuttle shift would not be ideal for farming, prob get hot after continuous pulling. Ford skip loaders like the 445 have pto's, still have a small shuttle shift. Farm tractor with loader is no comparison to a skip loader when it comes to dirt work, no good answer.

mitch504

I have a Case and a Ford, and you really have to watch the transmission temperature on both, if you are doing something involving a long steady pull (like grading a long straight road). If you are stopping and reversing frequently, I've never had either transmission get hot.

If you get a Case w/ a PTO, it is really a hydraulic motor that runs off your loader pump, and is supposed to be capable of mowing, but mine doesn't have one, so I don't know.

I would have to agree w/ quak, neither one is as good as the other at certain things.

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
And generally the R-4 tires like a skip have aren't too swift on traction in mud and soft dirt. At least my 4x4 backhoe slips more than my 2WD 70HP farm tractor does in general mud.