• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

skidloader winch

raytheone

That's awesome...I like it

Much better than the logging winches I've seen for skid steers.

td25c

Farmer called me & said he needed a few beaver dams pulled out . Looked at the job and creek was wider than the excavator could reach from one side , not a big enough job to move in the Insley conventional truck crane & drag line it . What to do ?

Yup ...... We moved in the Ford 4000 tractor and skid loader with winch attachment . Used the cable & dragline bucket to bust out the dams . Also had .44 magnum Rossi lever gun :)

Pulled forward with the skid loader and back with the tractor . Made for a nice Friday afternoon job .

Attachments

• 100_3260.jpg
    100_3260.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 100_3256.jpg
    100_3256.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 100_3267.jpg
    100_3267.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 219

JDOFMEMI

I like it!

Way to make the job work with the tools at hand. I like your skid winch. I have one, but set up differently. Mine has no boom and less pull, judging by the size of winch and cable, but I have 750 feet of cable on mine.

td25c

Yeah Jerry , We don't use it that often but when we need it ... Well it comes in handy at times .

This was kind of one of those little jobs with no notice to speak of when we got the call . Excavator was on another job 18 miles away . Farmers big concern was getting dams ripped out . Got it all done in an afternoon and they pulled in and started planting corn in the field that evening .

Plan now is go back this fall after harvest with drag line to work in some more trouble areas on the creek .

Some jobs like this I can bench down or even track down the center of the creek with excavator bailing it out . But not in this creek bottom . Big time quick sand ! So that was also another factor .

The boom arrangement it what really makes it work . Gets the cable pulling at an upward angle plus it puts the weight on the out riggers . Now I can un reeve & pull strait out the front off the drum if need be .

What kind of winch are you running ? I can see where you would need the 750' cable in the mountains of Southern California .

I might have 200' of 1/2" cable on my rig .

Attachments

• 100_3264.jpg
    100_3264.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 157

td25c

do the backhoe levers still work and how dose it swing left to rigth and how is the winch controld

Sorry for not getting to your questions sooner hiluxman & pafarmer .:eek:

I use the existing levers on the backhoe to run the winch & boom . It dose not swing , I just line up with the rig & pull as needed .

pafarmer , I love the Grouser over tire steel tracks . Tough as hell & seem to run forever .

td25c

Another issue is this creek gets pretty wild after a quick 2 inch rain . You do not want to leave equipment in that creek bottom overnight if rain is coming . Notice the corn stalks piled up in picture 3 on post #22 . All happens pretty fast .

JDOFMEMI

The winch I have is a Tulsa with a hydraulic motor hooked up where the chain drive would normally be. I'm not sure what it is rated for, but it will slide my 287, and not just on slick ground, within the first 3 layersof cable.
I have the drum completely full, as I need all the reach I can get for some jobs. I have pulled as much as 900 feet of 6" HDPE pipe nearly straight up. On the top couple of layers it looses enough pulling power that I have to use my snatch block for heavy pulls close in.

I really like the outriggers on yours, and may build some for mine some day. The boom is nice too, as right now I just have to raise the whole thing on the machines boom, which leaves it tippy.
Yours looks to be heavier than mine, but for most of what I use mine for it is just fine. Besides, it only goes out once in a while, but I would hate to be without it.