• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

skidders on tracks

MutsMachines

Occupation
railroad worker
they built this back when and said it worked amazing with some minor flaws.
tj 450 t.jpg
So I am wondering why they do not have these tracks
deere ft. tracks.png
on these machines today. I think these would work well. I wonder if deere or any company has made a prototype of this and tried it and how it worked if it did?
2006_john_deere_748gIII_grapple_skidder_605791_01.jpg

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I would be surprised if they work as well as said. The conditions the skidders are always put in I would think them tracks would be a terribly rough ride when hitting stumps. never going to miss them all. With a lot of today's loggers mowing 40 acres every few days speed for longer skids is everything. The tandem rubber tires with the open chain tracks seem to get more popular all the time. Only need the tracks on them on when in real soft ground or super deep snow.

Last edited:

MutsMachines

Occupation
railroad worker
yes I agree I am a logger and run deere skidders. I guess I should have specified for certain special terrain logging such as hills ,deep snow and swampy apps skidders with tracks might be a better way to do it. I am just pondering this idea seeing what others have to say thanks for the input. one thing about the timberjack: Imagine how loud that would be during travel. think about a normal excavator while walking the squeaking and squealing. that machine has 4 separate tracks all turning at the same time.

Chopper95

Cool looking machine!

Looks pretty similar to the 1st generation CASE IH Quadtrac's, minus the articulation, but only six years beforehand.

I'm sure the tracks could be an advantage in some situations, but every environment is different obviously.

Definitely wouldn't be fast, most tracked tractors (at least agricultural ones) can only do about 20 MPH.

Plebeian

The 'thin' rubber tracks are likely to get cut or have stick damage in a logging situation.
Look at the damage/ wear to the JD rubber tyred skidder and imagine that on the rubber tracks.
Tigercat with steel over tyre tracks are probably where machine technology is at.
http://youtu.be/DoXVbgfX6EI
John Deere have 1270E with a similar layout.
http://youtu.be/Nk6yEMgg_qo

Last edited:

BDFT

The Prince George dealer brought a tracked Timberjack out to try where I was working. It was rougher than Hell and the tracks squeaked horribly, nobody liked it but it would work on steep ground. The few that ran for any length of time beat themselves to death. Nowdays a 748 or 848 with duals on the back would run rings around them.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Chopper95

Looks pretty similar to the 1st generation CASE IH Quadtrac's, minus the articulation, but only six years beforehand.

Dunno mate, but it looks to me that the jigger would hafta to articulate to steer ???? . . . . I'm used to being wrong though. (big grin)

Cheers.

Last edited:

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
It does articulate. The joint is under the back of the cab. A little hard to make it out from the angle the picture was taken from. Like the John Deere pictured below it, most skidders have the back of the cab stick over the steering joint. Paul Bunyan and his men need room in the cab. :)

BDFT

That was just a bone stock 480 Timberjack grapple with the tires pulled off and those track frames bolted on. There were additional brackets to mount the track frames and allow them to pivot a bit but I can't remember how it all went together. Nothing fancy about them except the price

Chopper95

Hmm I see it now :rolleyes:

Looked like it was a single fixed frame from the angle and paint.

I'll agree that the "thin" rubber tracks for ag. wouldn't last long out in the woods; but I'm sure it rode rough anyways.

Still a semi-interesting idea or concept, but tires (especially dual rears with chains) are much more efficient and effective.