• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skidder 525B winch removal.

tift104

Ok guys, I'm planning on removing the winch on a Cat 525B. There is a small 1/2 hose that goes into some sort of control valve bolted to the winch. This hose has constant flow when the machine is running. Then there is a larger maybe 3/4 inch hose coming out the bottom of the winch.
I'm assuming the larger hose is a return line since there is a flow of oil that comes out where it connects when the machine is running.
When I remove the winch should I connect the two hoses together with a fitting and bypass the winch totally? Im not sure the winch works since the electrical and shaft were unhooked when I bought the machine.
This is going to be a spray tractor and I need the tank to sit as close to the frame as possible and removing the winch will bring it down another 8 inches.
What would your recommendations be to remove the winch?
Thankyou for your advice.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Unhook and cap them. Unless the hydraulic circuit is activated the. You shouldn’t have any high pressure and since you mentioned that the electrical is unhooked then I think you’ll be fine

tift104

Thanks Mike. That was my original plan but I guess I started overthinking it. The button may of been pushed when I took the hose off.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
If you are not using the circuit you will likely have to remove the pump that feeds the upper line.

Lonnie Varner

Ok guys, I'm planning on removing the winch on a Cat 525B. There is a small 1/2 hose that goes into some sort of control valve bolted to the winch. This hose has constant flow when the machine is running. Then there is a larger maybe 3/4 inch hose coming out the bottom of the winch.
I'm assuming the larger hose is a return line since there is a flow of oil that comes out where it connects when the machine is running.
When I remove the winch should I connect the two hoses together with a fitting and bypass the winch totally? Im not sure the winch works since the electrical and shaft were unhooked when I bought the machine.
This is going to be a spray tractor and I need the tank to sit as close to the frame as possible and removing the winch will bring it down another 8 inches.
What would your recommendations be to remove the winch?
Thankyou for your advice.