• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skid steer trencher production

tylermckee

Anyone have much experience with these? have a job coming up that's 700' of power line trench. I can rent a 6"x48" trencher for our TL130, I've never used or been around them being used for anything other than irrigation systems. Trench needs to be about 42". Running through a field, no utilities. Ground shouldn't be to bad, a mix of topsoil, sand and clay, some rocks but nothing major. Was originally planning on digging with a 160 excavator and a 2' bucket, thinking the skid steer could be more productive and have a little less to clean up which would be nice. Anyone have any production numbers they have experienced at a similar depth?

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
not used one in a couple of years on a skid steer but I do remember that a dedicated trencher was a least twice as fast as a skid steer attachment so you would be better to rent a dedicated trencher

casecx700

I am not going to claim to be an expert on trencher attachments as I have never used one, however in talking to landscapers that used them regularly (in Arizona in hard ground) they are good for shallow digging but have a hard time with deeper excavation much like you are talking about. The person I was talking to said that the Skid steer was not able to provide enough weight or downward force and that would slow down the progress.

JD8875

I ran one Monday afternoon on my TL130 and was blown away! I was cutting 6" trench 36" deep for electrical conduit. In good clay soil I was making 4-6 ft per minute. The machine certainly didn't lack weight, down pressure, or power as were my concerns. I was running a Bobcat 318 model that belongs to a friend, at least for now until he puts a price on it. I hit some rocky ground and that shut it down pretty quick and I had to dig about 100' with my mini ex. All total I dug 400' of 500' with the trencher and loved the speed and ease.

John

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
Idk but from my experience a 48" will make a 36" trench because allot of material get slung back into the trench

06Pete

I have a john deere 48" that I run on my Tak 240's I never really timed it but I put in 2800 feet of force main in a day at 24'' -28'' deep. The deeper you go the slower but from what I have seen I can keep up with a dedicated trencher in straight runs they have the advantage in turns. Mine is pretty much unstoppable as I regulary cut through roots and even trenched through basecoat once without sawcutting customers choice? for me I would not hesitate to do 700' with one in a day. The flow of the skidsteer has a lot to do with production though with my old 763 bobcat it would get you there but now I get there a lot faster.