• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skid Steer Tires - what kind should I buy

John Deer

The OEM tires that came on my skid steer are worn out with less than 200 hours on them. I am operating the machine in tough rocky Texas Hill Country, but I think there must be a tougher tire out there better suited for the application I need. I have checked prices and see that they vary widely. Can anyone recommend a tire brand and model or type that will last longer? The size I need is 10X16.5.

CatToy

I bought a set of Titan H/E's in the size you are looking for because I would rip and tear the lugs the way I was working my SS. They are not cheap, I think I paid around $350 a tire (mounted and filled with stop leak), but the dealer said they would last twice as long as a normal SS tire. I never found out, I sold my SS about 500 hours later, but they were still going strong and based on wear I thought I would see at least 1500 hours, probably 2000. I had a cheap set of Titans on before (if there is such a thing:)), they lasted bout 700 hours of mixed used, clearing land, working on concrete/pavement, spreading gravel...

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
I buy the cheapest tire possible my operators ussually hit a peice of rebay way before the tire ever wears out

durallymax

Michelin Bibsteel ATs are very nice if you can swing the price. They're radials so they ride like a dream and wear forever. Great traction. Steel belted too which resists a lot of punctures. Been very happy with them.

durallymax

Those are a decent cheap tire but will not last long at all. Should be just over 100 bucks each. Just put some on our machine that only runs a few hours per month.

Jonas302

surprisingly recaps are the best way to go in rocky abrasive conditions or on concrete they actually cost more than new tires and last as least twice as long

durallymax

That depends largely on the carcass, tread used and the place doing the capping as well as what you intend to do with it. Just like Virgin tires, not all recaps are the same either.

John Deer

I ordered a set of Titan HE tires that I will have installed tomorrow. I am a little concerned about air pressure. The Titan web site says these tires operate at 90 PSI my compressor will go to around 70 PSI. Will this be a problem?

CatToy

I always follow manufacturers recommendations, I check my tires weekly on cars, trucks and equipment. Many tires will not look low until you are at a pressure that may cause tire damage. I would find another compressor (even the cheap Walmart or Harbor freight ones that are $100 go to 125psi).

durallymax

The 90psi is the pressure for the maximum load and for the HE in your size (10x16.5 10ply) the max pressure is 75psi. The 90psi HE is a 14ply 12x16.5.

Those are simply the max load numbers, rarely where you actually want to run the tires. You need to know the load you will be putting on them and then you can adjust the pressures based on the tire OEMs load charts. You can weigh the rear of the machine and front to be perfect. Set the rear pressure for the unloaded weight. The rear tires will never have more weight on then than when you have nothing on the front of the machine. The front tires you can set the same if you feel it will allow enough room for whatever weight you will lift and carry. Don't crank them up for the random heavy load you might have once and awhile, set them where you think you will normally operate. Remember that if you lift 1000lbs for example, that doesn't translate to exactly 1000lbs of extra weight on the front axle, it's actually higher depending on the distance the load is from the axle, it will remove weight from the rear and transfer it to the front. If you are just picking things up and not carrying then far you won't need terribly high pressures necessarily, but if you will be traveling a lot with a load you need the proper pressure to prevent excess heat/stress/wear. Overall though SSL tires are pretty tolerant to being run low. Not suggesting you should just saying it won't implode if you don't have the perfect pressure.

Too high of pressure will give you a crappy ride which is hard on you and the machine, there's less give to the tire when running into/over things which is hard on the hubs/bearings etc. Your traction will also suffer significantly and if you are doing a lot of work that requires traction you will get less done per hour and use more fuel to accomplish the same task. The latter isn't as obvious with a skid steer but on bigger equipment like tractors, there can be a significant difference. Overinflation in general can lead to irregular wear but it's unlikely to be that noticeable on an SSL tire.

Under inflation can also lead to irregular wear, but the main issue is the stress it puts on the casing leading to early failure. Again not common on SSL tires with their tough rigid casings.

What machine do you have? You should be able to run that tire anywhere from 35psi up to the max of 75psi if desired. In my experience the Titans are so stiff, they ride just as rough at 35psi as they do at 70psi. Your experience max vary. They're a very stiff tire which also means as mentioned, you won't notice they are low until they practically come off the bead. Even then they drive like a damn run flat and barely squat. You will notice a front a lot sooner than a rear obviously. On that note, a tire that "looks" low is not necessarily low,especially with radials. Radials are not common for SSLs, the Bibsteel and a couple others are all that exist. They are commonplace for everything else though. Radials are designed to squat much more. Bias tires carry the majority of the load through the center of the tire tread working to the outside. Like if you were to push a ball into the sand, the center would be the deepest. Radial tires carry a lot of the load at the sidewalls and more evenly across the tread. Almost like pushing a cube into the sand, much more even footprint sometimes with slightly higher loads near the sidewall. Due to their design, many radials when properly inflated on equipment, tend to appear to squat some. With Ag equipment the "squat" can be pretty large especially with IF/VF tires that are designed for very low pressure. The squat allows the tire to have a longer footprint for less compaction and better traction.

With any tire, you need to consult the manual for the machine and the manual for the specific tire you purchased. Aside from cars, inflate the tire based off the tire OEMs manual. The machine manual doesn't know what tires you have an can be outdated. With cars however, inflate to what the door says as things like handling and safety can be effected. Most car tires within a given size and load/speed range now run very similar pressures anyways.

Last edited:

John Deer

Thanks for this very helpful response! I made a mistake on the tire size. It is a 12-16.5. The machine is a Volvo MC115C. I can't find any weight data on front wheels VS back wheels, but the entire machine weighs 7971 lbs with a standard empty bucket and a a 165 lb operator. The rated operating capacity is 2,600 lbs. the tipping load is 5,448 lbs. Is it possible to calculate a recommended pressure for the Titan HE tires with this information?

Swannny

I've gone through a wazoo load of tires on a boat load of machines and seem to end up between 30 and 40 psi front and back for best ride and wear pattern. The AG treads will wear twice as fast in the center if you run them with the higher pressures. Most 12 ply are rated around 24k pounds at max psi and you'll not even get close to that rating with your machine.

CatToy

I had the HEs on a JD 6675 and ran 75 psi in all four (that was what the dealer recommended and I think that was on the side of the tire) but I ran 50 in them one winter to see if it changed the stiffness. I noticed it was a little more bouncy but no better ride. I think you could run 20 psi and not see a difference until max loaded, I suggest run some different pressures and see what you like. I liked 75 psi.

cdm123

Would love to try a set of "tweels" but with the price each about the same as a set of factory that's no going to happen soon lol.

gwhammy

I run bandage motorgrader recaps on mine. Have for years, best wearing tire I've found. I don't let them trim the outer edges down, run the cap at full width. Finding good carcasses is a problem but I've been lucky. A gallon of real good stop leak in each tire, the stuff with rubber chunks and fiberglass in it. Been running this combo for probably 20 years. I've got as much as 1100 hrs. on a set even on pavement.

k45

I always follow manufacturers recommendations, I check my tires weekly on cars, trucks and equipment. Many tires will not look low until you are at a pressure that may cause tire damage. I would find another compressor (even the cheap Walmart or Harbor freight ones that are $100 go to 125psi).

Be careful about the compressor "max pressure" ratings. The one I have advertises 140 PSI max. pressure. HOWEVER, the sensor to start the electric motor will not trip until the pressure is down to 90 PSI. I have tires that require 105 PSI and the only way to get that out of the compressor is to drain the air off to trip the recharge cycle.

I checked the manual, there is no adjustment.