1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

skid steer controls

Discussion in 'Skid Steers' started by dave esterns, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Topwater

Topwater Member

I really don't like the foot control units. Joysticks are way nicer

2. Topwater

Topwater Member

Im thinking of buying a new Terex with the pilot controls. Being able to operate the machine and talk on the phone At the same time sounds cool.haha

3. dirty4fun

dirty4fun Senior Member

The only problem I have now (ok I have a lot) but when I get in the excavator after running the skidsteer. Shoving that lever forward when you want to travel sure makes things you don't want to happen, happen fast.

The joy sticks are less tiring, that is for sure. Seems a little easier to spin your wheels as there isn't the pressure of moving the old levers.

4. sandcreek

sandcreek Member

I have run the bobcat foot-hand controls for about 8 years now. I learned on a 246 cat and it was hell trying to learn to run the foot controls. Tried the bobcat hand controls and they were worse. Bought a S250 for snowplowing last winter with the switch option for hand-foot or hand controls. Would be a lot more comfortable plowing snow using just the hand controls but I gave up trying after a while. Too frustrating

5. dave esterns

dave esterns Senior Member

there is nothing more frustrating than learning new controls. i was driving a mini excavator the other day for the first time. i can run the backhoe attachment on the skid steer while sleeping, but dam it was frustrating trying to run the mini.

6. MXZ

MXZ Well-Known Member

Switch the pattern selector.

7. dave esterns

dave esterns Senior Member

well this is a backhoe that just attaches right to the skid steer and you use the boom and bucket tilt to help you dig (only has 1 cylinder on it). i love it and it really comes in handy. so i dont think switching the selector would help me cuz i got a different animal than an excavator.

8. jason.wright

jason.wright Member

Rental Coordinator
    Dave I always ask my customers to try and put at least fifty hrs. on a machine with electric joysticks. What I find is that about 75% say that after doing this they wouldn't go back to the old style. Alot of guys find that from going from excavators or backhoes with joystick controls it is fairly a good transition. I say give it some time and if you still don't like it stay with what works.

9. MaCotMFF

MaCotMFF Member

I have not operated the old control type more than a few hours here and there, years ago and in a non-professional environment...so I can't really compare the two. But I practically grew up with joysticks in my hands, perfecting my stormy-night carrier landing in a flight-simulator game or shooting down those pesky purple aliens in space dogfights over the moons of Arcturus-4.
    Not that I'm trying to claim that hours playing videogames somehow translates into operating experience, hehe. I have a lot to learn, and don't ever expect to stop learning no matter how much seat-time I rack up. But the joystick interface is something I'm very comfortable and familiar with--not just with using, but also in fine-tuning my control of it (takes a lot of fine-tuning and practice to make those dang carrier landings).

10. Danny Steel

Danny Steel Well-Known Member

Farmer/Landscaper/Welder/Fitter
    Can the dealer do a switch from the foot controls to just hand??.......My Knees are just shot after 9 yrs on my NH 150

11. heavylift

heavylift Senior Member

the only bobcat that I have ran with the dual patterns was a real pain. With the normal size levers, then the joysticks on the levers. It made the joystick feel like they were at ear level , very uncomfortable to run with the joysticks in a bobcat, unless they have changed that design, I ran it with foot and hand controls,
    Maybe like ape hangers on a chopper :)

I'm all about just wiggling a stick around, instead of moving hands and feet. :)

12. stevel

stevel Member

Equipment sales
    I'm partial to joystick hand controls on a skid steer/CTL due to the fact that I don't spend lots of hours on these units. I do spend a lot of time on a tractor/loader (skip loader), small wheel loader, small hystat dozer with 6 way blade and farm tractor. What I like is that my right hand is controlling my implement group, my left hand controls direction and steering and my righ foot controls engine speed. As I move from one machine to the next, similarity makes operation intuitive. Even on an excavator, my hands are working and not my feet. Granted, guys who run hand/foot controls all the time make it look easy but for me it is an accident waiting to happen and I am very slow and jerky. Also, hydraulic pilot operated controls (Kubota & Takaeuchi) are smoother and more responsive than electrically operated joysticks in that they don't have the split -second time lag. The only benefit of electric joysticks is the switchable control pattern.

13. Hendrik

Hendrik Senior Member

Reading through this, I am wondering whether the original question was relating to foot/hand versus pilot (electric or not) control, or specifically only about electric over hydraulic systems.
    I personally can't see the advantages of electric over the cable systems. I have never used an electric system but others have said that there is a lag and not the same feel.
    Also having electrics in a machine that operates in relatively harsh conditions is potentially a problem, the joystick pushing on a cable system seems much simpler and thus more reliable.
    Anyway I had a bit of a go on a foot/hand control skid steer when my positrack decided to stop working, hated it. Particularly as your feet/legs are always in the same spot and you can't move them around, you can't use your feet to steady yourself as well when going over rough spots and twisting your body around to look over your shoulder when reversing is more difficult.

14. yanmarman

yanmarman Well-Known Member

union ironworker
    Igrew up on newholland so foot controlls.Irented a cat with joy stick was not bad.

15. packrat

packrat Member

Retire
    I think it just takes time in the seat!

16. TripleS

TripleS New Member

New to forum and trying to get in some replies so that i can ask some ?,, anyhow i am looking at a case 1840 and also a 430... Are these control set ups good for beginners??

17. Mark Milligan

Mark Milligan New Member

President CEO of Anti-theft system distributor
    I want to install a starter disable system in a A220 Bob Cat and need a wiring color guide. Can anyone help?

18. hawkeyefarmer

hawkeyefarmer New Member

I'm looking @ a 2007 317 Deere with the hand controls...have you had much interaction with these?
    I've only ran Skids with hand/foot controls but heard this was easier on the joints.

19. TALLRICK

TALLRICK Well-Known Member

That's the tricky part, getting time in the machine. I have only used hand controls once, and they were not electric. Not sure how someone with hand/foot control machines can get time in another type. I have even thought of offering my time in exchange for practice on one of those machines. No luck so far.

20. SVTSHELBYGT500

SVTSHELBYGT500 Well-Known Member

Excavating Contractor 30 + Yrs.
    Started Years Ago With Case 1840 With Case Hand Controls. Have Had Numerous Case Machines And 1 Bobcat . Currently We Have A Case 450 Series 3 With Case Hand Controls , Cat 279C & Cat 262C With Cat Controls. All & All We Like Cat iso The Best . Never Liked Foot Controls !